Like Tree39Likes

Deborah Annells, MD of Azure Tax Pleads Guilty

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

You mean plea bargaining? I don't think a solicitor could or would withdraw on that kind of strategy.

A solicitor would be required to resign if a criminal said "yes, I stole all this money, but I would like to plead innocent". Alternative, even without an admission, if a solicitor weighs up all the evidence against his client and concludes there is no prospect of a defence even though the client wishes to defend, he might step down on this basis.

If Kevin Egan, himself an expert in perverting the course of justice (albeit that his conviction for a similar offence was ovrturned on appeal on a technicality) won't take a case then I think she's going to be inside for quite a while.

HowardCoombs and Claire ex-ax like this.

For anyone interested, this time on Egan:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1111118904885

I do agree though. Only in exceptional circumstances does a criminal lawyer leave a case. None of the reasons are good.

I thought it was pretty accurate characterisation...

Just google the guys name - the whole saga is pretty well documented online....

From the above article ..

Responding to the magistrates' questioning about why it was taking so long to assess her, Annells said: "I have given them all my bank statements; they know I have absolutely no money. I have committed all my worldly goods and earnings to my business."

Annells said the Legal Aid Department had asked for information on various companies. "Many of those companies have been sold, are dormant or owned by third parties," she said, adding "it is very difficult to provide this information while in custody".
    All rather ironic considering the nature of her business.

From the SCMP:

A British tax consultant was today found guilty of possessing bogus documents and using them to mislead others – including a court which granted her permission to leave Hong Kong.

District Court judge Eddie Yip Chor-man said not only had Briton Deborah Annells misled a magistrate when she presented a memorandum of understanding with an inflated price through her lawyers to Eastern Court on April 11 last year, she also deceived her barrister, Kevin Egan, and instructing solicitor Christopher Morley in doing so.
    Outside court, the police officer in charge of the case told the South China Morning Post that the bail-varying application raised their suspicions when they found out from the false document that someone would pay US$1 million for Annells’ tax business. They said they therefore started an investigation right away, which later led to her prosecution.

British tax consultant found guilty in Hong Kong court of possessing bogus documents | South China Morning Post
    Ehiogu, jrkob and Cwbguy like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Interesting reading. My take on this .. when in hole, stop digging.
    Fiona in HKG and Cwbguy like this.

Wow ... how the mighty have fallen. At one time, she had an impeccable reputation with old timers in Hong Kong.

Ehiogu likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Perhaps Kevin can give her tips on surviving Hong Kong jail time.