Like Tree12Likes

$10m ONLY for chance of a place in an International School

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

$10m ONLY for chance of a place in an International School

Give us 10 million friggen dollars and your child will have higher priority of getting a place. Holy Crap

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...=20130815&fc=7

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Now, would a $10 million school debenture count on a CIES application?

The article is a bit bogus and sensationalistic. No one is shocked at that price range, as these debentures were used to pay for the new campus.

The $10M debentures are what they call Foundation Debentures and are refundable. They essentially put the child in a tier one range and guarantee a spot. Typically these would be purchased by the banks / major employers (they're refundable, so I assume they're also tradable when the kid leaves).

All of this is assuming that your kid can pass the basic tests they give to make sure that they're academically acceptable.

Most parents will fall into the depreciating debenture cateogry.

Depreciating Individual Debenture (current price $80,000 and from 1 September 2013 priced at
    $100,000 - depreciating over 7 years to zero)
    Which is in line with all the international schools, including ESF.

More here - http://www.kellettschool.com/upload/...ons_policy.pdf

As Shri says the debentures are usually refundable and its for big companies to ensure places for their employees kids. In my opinion, the Aussie school ain Kowloon Tong are biggger bastards because a few years ago they sneakily changed their debenture scheme to become a "depreciating debenture". It means the value of the debenture goes down each year and I think after 7 years its worthless and if your kid is still there after 7 years these thieves force you to buy another one of these depreciating thingamajigs at $100k a pop. Very very sneaky and it was a way for them to increase fees that year whilst at the same time announcing no fee increases. They are just captalising on the fact that most Aussie's are dimwits who dont really understand all these financial mechanisims they put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    As Shri says the debentures are usually refundable and its for big companies to ensure places for their employees kids. In my opinion, the Aussie school ain Kowloon Tong are biggger bastards because a few years ago they sneakily changed their debenture scheme to become a "depreciating debenture". It means the value of the debenture goes down each year and I think after 7 years its worthless and if your kid is still there after 7 years these thieves force you to buy another one of these depreciating thingamajigs at $100k a pop. Very very sneaky and it was a way for them to increase fees that year whilst at the same time announcing no fee increases. They are just captalising on the fact that most Aussie's are dimwits who dont really understand all these financial mechanisims they put in place.
    News to me that Aussies are dimwits. They are a bit rubbish at rugby, but on the whole I find your average Aussie usually presents with the full half dozen cans required to make a six-pack. Of course they will then proceed to drink them all themselves because they are generally so tight they wouldn't shout if a shark bit them, but you can't have everything.
    East_coast, dipstick and bdw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I assume your English and call Aussies dimwits as you still cant get over the fact your ancestors were left in the UK and not sent to paradise 200 odd years ago. But your here in hk so atleast a British colony at some point accepted you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

I an assuming BDW is having a go only at the Anglo Saxon Aussies... Which if BDW happens to be ancestrally/natively one himself, that just suggests how bitter and fucked up the average Brit is about their own cultural identity. BDW could also be an OS Born Chinese...one or the other i would hazard a guess.

I dont see my Italian, Greek, Croatian etc etc or Asian brothers and sisters insult their people who migrated to other countries/colonies etc. Seems the British are low enough to shit on their own kin.

Very sad to see, i actually feel sorry for the uk as to how fragmented/atomised its cultural identity has become. Pretty thin on the ground compared to their grand parents generation, who were a united, decent, courageous people. Hmm

Last edited by Skyhook; 16-08-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auss:
    I assume your English and call Aussies dimwits as you still cant get over the fact your ancestors were left in the UK and not sent to paradise 200 odd years ago. But your here in hk so atleast a British colony at some point accepted you

I'm saying nothing.

But yeah, schools are expensive
    Claire ex-ax and climber07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

Very sad to see, i actually feel sorry for the uk as to how fragmented/atomised its cultural identity has become. Pretty thin on the ground compared to their grand parents generation, who were a united, decent, courageous people. Hmm

Can I say that my username is already taken so don't pretend to be me with such a comment. I can report directly from the motherland that UK culture and identity is probably stronger now than it has been for any time in the last few decades, partly in response to the overwhelming success of the Olympics. I see many flags flying now, and they are not by the racist BNP or similar. There seems to be a greater acceptance of immigrants in the UK than among the Brit expats in Hong Kong.

Immigration and conquest/invasion (in both directions) is a large part of the UK history and culture.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast