Like Tree13Likes

The star of TST

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The star of TST

is Mary Melville. You have probably seen her name in the letters page of the SCMP.

I met her briefly this evening on Granville Rd where she was doing her civic duty - trying to move on illegally parked cars and those that were stationary on the level crossing. Unfortunately the two policeman there were spending more time haranguing Mary than doing something about the traffic. After 5-10 minutes, and giving one car a ticket and waving on a couple of more, they declared the road 'clear', and then left with the solitary traffic warden. Within 5 minutes the road was blocked again. See the picture I took.

Mary told me one reason she doesn't take pictures is that she scared she will be beaten up by some car drivers. Shouldn't the police be there to help her? The traffic problem in TST (and other areas) is straightforward to solve, but there doesn't seem to be any inclination to do so. If anyone deserves a Bauhinia Star, it's Mary Melville.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    is Mary Melville. You have probably seen her name in the letters page of the SCMP.

I met her briefly this evening on Granville Rd where she was doing her civic duty - trying to move on illegally parked cars and those that were stationary on the level crossing. Unfortunately the two policeman there were spending more time haranguing Mary than doing something about the traffic. After 5-10 minutes, and giving one car a ticket and waving on a couple of more, they declared the road 'clear', and then left with the solitary traffic warden. Within 5 minutes the road was blocked again. See the picture I took.

Mary told me one reason she doesn't take pictures is that she scared she will be beaten up by some car drivers. Shouldn't the police be there to help her? The traffic problem in TST (and other areas) is straightforward to solve, but there doesn't seem to be any inclination to do so. If anyone deserves a Bauhinia Star, it's Mary Melville.
    I honestly don't believe traffic is that big a problem in HK....
    Skyhook and shenwen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:

I met her briefly this evening on Granville Rd where she was doing her civic duty - trying to move on illegally parked cars and those that were stationary on the level crossing.
    What exactly is she doing, or trying to do? (I am not familiar with her name.)

Mary told me one reason she doesn't take pictures is that she scared she will be beaten up by some car drivers. Shouldn't the police be there to help her? [...]
    I doubt the police will entertain everyone that has some issue with traffic violations by other road users unless they present an immediate danger.
    Not that I condone their behavior but I doubt the police would have the time and resources to deal with all of them and do so 24/7.
    Last edited by Raccon; 30-08-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I honestly don't believe traffic is that big a problem in HK....
    So that makes it ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    So that makes it ok?
    Yes........

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    What exactly is she doing, or trying to do? (I am not familiar with her name.)

I doubt the police will entertain everyone that has some issue with traffic violations by other road users unless they present an immediate danger.
    Not that I condone their behavior but I doubt the police would have the time and resources to deal with all of them and do so 24/7.
    See http://www.hongkongcan.org/eng/2010/...tion-measures/

She will take down the number plate and report the congestion to the police. The police turn up, and then do little or nothing. The problem does not get solved. Pollution gets worse, and pedestrian crossings are blocked. Pedestrians suffer as their right of way is blocked and from the pollution from idling engines.

Nobody likes a snitch

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Nobody likes a snitch
    Who is the snitch?

And do people like those who sit in their polluting vehicles blocking pedestrian crossings?

HK could do with a few more Mary's.

Are you sure Mary isn't MovingIn using a pseudonym??? ;-)

INXS and wtbhotia like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast