Like Tree3Likes

Spy Drones in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spy Drones in HK?

Would you fly one of these drones as a hobby in HK? Are they even legal in HK?

I would hate to wake up one morning and look out the window seeing one of these things snapping pics. Not that the Mainland government wouldn't start sending these over anyway in a few years. Or if Google Maps started using these.

But what about your neighbors flying these things around curious at what you do in your own home?

A news report about falling drone:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/47...ident-new-york

Drone reportedly plummets dozens of stories and crash lands on busy Manhattan streets

A businessman walking through the East Side of Manhattan Monday was startled when a 3-pound helicopter drone crash landed a few feet from him. The man recovered a memory card from the downed craft and passed it along to a local ABC News station, which broke the story of the accident this afternoon.

The man, concerned that he could have been injured by the falling drone, contacted local police, who told him that no law had been broken and did not pursue the pilot. FAA rules state, however, that hobbyist drones must fly below 400 feet and keep away from airports and heavily populated areas like city streets. The Verge contacted FAA spokesman Les Dorr, but reached the following voicemail message: "I am out of the office due to a lapse in funding. Please call back after news reports advise a resumption of services for all federal agencies."

Recently, I saw some guys playing around with a toy on a beach that looked like this:

Toy Drone Kit
    Last edited by Yeahbaby; 03-10-2013 at 07:25 AM.

I've seen some guys using these as well...I think they were a 'proper' camera crew, TVB or something.

We have a guy in the house in front of us has a couple. He usually flies them in the carpark when it is empty during the day, and keeps away from houses.

They look like good fun and quite useful for us. Hubby has been researching them to have in France to inspect the roof as it is about 20m up at highest point, and would be great for aerial photos of the land.

But in Hong Kong would be more of a problem I think. Unless it is out in New Territories. Great for Peeping Toms though!

Wonderful!
    I see two guys play around with all kinds of small remote aircrafts on the building site in my view on Sundays.
    Even when I'm on the balcony, I never feel like being watched. And I'm a weird gweilo.. So they might be curious.
    Since I'm halfway up the building, many apartments can see into mine. No one does.

I think we wouldn't need to worry for a drone like that. The chance of getting any 'good' pictures would be really slim.

Quote Originally Posted by RinkoWingman:
    I think we wouldn't need to worry for a drone like that. The chance of getting any 'good' pictures would be really slim.
    They can be quite good. Some of the ones we are looking at shoot HD video relaying it back to laptop or ipad. The cameras for these are reasonably priced, but quite sophisticated sports cameras with good stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahbaby:
    there's a guy in our village that flies one like the website you posted but he files it at night and in the car park away from houses, its great with all the lights blinking. It doesnt have a camera though.

Might have to buy a gas gun and try to shot it down LOL
    auss likes this.

Spy on what? RC helicopters are around for many years. Why would that change with a drone. Same thing.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Spy on what? RC helicopters are around for many years. Why would that change with a drone. Same thing.
    You are probably right, but you never know, once people get the idea it would'nt be that hard for those with the know-how to install a camera onboard a RC helicopter. Think of the business potential for the gossip press to spy on the celebrities when they are "unaware"...until the likely outcry from the "invasion of privacy" folks put a stop to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    once people get the idea it would'nt be that hard for those with the know-how to install a camera onboard a RC helicopter. Think of the business potential for the gossip press to spy on the celebrities when they are "unaware"...until the likely outcry from the "invasion of privacy" folks put a stop to it.
    there are already RC helicopters with video cameras for sale, its nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Think of the business potential for the gossip press to spy on the celebrities when they are "unaware"...until the likely outcry from the "invasion of privacy" folks put a stop to it.
    It's not that easy. True, you can get stunning aerial pictures and movies. But it is all wide angle. To get a celebrity snap, were you can actually recognize the celebrity in question you would either have to get very close, or use a zoom.

Considering the strong shaking and vibration you have on copters or drones a zoom lens ain't possible. Getting close is difficult too without crashing the flying object. And there is noise too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast