Like Tree149Likes

Indonesian Maid Severely Beaten by HK Employer, Returns Home

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

You left out the recent stupid proclamation that helpers breaking contract will be closely scrutinised by ID and possibly have new contracts refused. Which forces women to stay in situations of abuse,.

closedcasket and wtbhotia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    The employers are first to blame, but I still blame the HK for a severe lack of oversight in regards to the FDH scheme. The very system of requiring poor people from other countries opens the doors to abuses like these and the government itself should shoulder some of the blame for not doing enough to prevent abuses.
    Oh, cool - new and interesting points, and a fresh perspective on this complex and emotive issue!

Or not, as the case may be.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    The identity of the employer has not even been released, they could be from anywhere.
    ???
    The full name and address of the employer, including the agency, is right there one link into the article. The name sounds very local to me.

Facebook page of Open Door l 家·傭同行
    https://www.facebook.com/opendoor.hk...?stream_ref=10
    Last edited by 100LL; 13-01-2014 at 08:59 PM.
    wtbhotia and closedcasket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Most importantly, create a free, anonymous hotline where helpers can report abuses and action will be taken. Most helpers feel (and rightfully so) that little will be done if they report an abuse. Most in fact feel they will lose their jobs and be sent home in 2 weeks. That is a problem.
    OK, lets see how this would have helped the DH in this case.

1. She calls anonymous hotline. Police shows up, friendly employer talks to police at the door and tells them she's probably out drinking too much. Police leaves and then...

2. Friend of the DH calls without her knowledge the hotline and reports the case. Police show up unannounced. Friendly employer... Police leaves and then...

Got to the SCMP:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...-beatings-hong

According to the SCMP the police are not following up on the case:

"Hong Kong police have refused to pursue an investigation into the case of an Indonesian domestic helper who has been left in a critical condition after she was allegedly abused and beaten by her Hong Kong employers."

The system is so stacked against FDHs. Shit like this happens and the authorities do fuck all. In accordance with the law, my arse.

Last edited by pin; 13-01-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dermotp:
    If you need help beating those servile trash "employers" hit me up.
    Truly shocking.

I swear, I respect so called HK'ers in this town less every day I'm here.

I'd be surprised this ends up in the rag papers though.
    No doubt pushed aside by another "well everything/everyone in HK is just great" article.
    Hong Kong government's reply: "I accept your implication that you will leave. Thank you very much. Other expats will not hesitate to replace you. Goodbye". Their thinking is, who are you to tell us what to do? Do we care whether you respect us or not? You are here to make money, not to stick your nose into other people's business. You are a bunch of bleeding-heart expats who will leave in a year or two. We don't answer to you.

Believe me, that is the attitude of the government. Even if they don't phrase things so bluntly, that's what they think...

So bottom line, the HK gov ain't going to do jack.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 13-01-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    ???
    The full name and address of the employer, including the agency, is right there one link into the article. The name sounds very local to me.

Facebook page of Open Door l 家·傭同行
    https://www.facebook.com/opendoor.hk...?stream_ref=10
    wow they named the employer and the address.

Former Employer: LAW WAN TUNG Address: Flat J 38 F Block 5 Beverly Garden 1 Tong Ming Street Tseung Kwan O Hong Kong.

Would hope the neighbours give them hell. I also hope they are banned frm having another helper. The police look bad on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Would hope the neighbours give them hell. I also hope they are banned frm having another helper. The police look bad on this issue.
    Um, I would hope his neighbors don't see him for at least 10 years. This animal should get prison time.

But I doubt that will happen. That would just result in bad PR for the FDH scheme and we can't have that.

And the police don't look bad, Hong Kong does.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I doubt it. In flats the size of HK with thin walls, how could they NOT have known what was going on anyway? Depressing.
    closedcasket likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast