Like Tree17Likes

$100 tourist tax

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

You seem to think that everyday life of going to the shopping mall etc represents what can happen under a totalitarian state. I pointed out what I have seen when the state is challenged.
    Here is the problem, and you'll forgive me for pointing out the error in your thinking, I'm sure. I don't think that shopping and the other mundane aspects of life can happen in China, they do happen! Further, fun stuff happens all the time too. Not all totalitarian states are equal, please stick to the topic, China... North Korea, for example, is clearly in a different league...let's stick to China, please.

I would agree the sample size is very small but the approach, subsequent reporting in the press and legal proceedings were so very different.
    I hope you can agree that while the chance of getting in trouble with the state might be greater in China than in Hong Kong, the chance of getting in trouble, for the average Chinese, is pretty small.

I would hope I never see such things again so I will let such a tiny sample size bias my view.
    Me too.

Things are not black and white. West = good and East = bad just isn't cutting it anymore!

If you cross the road when there's a red man flashing, you'll get fined.

If you kill someone in the USA you'll get the chair...

etc...
    Last edited by INXS; 15-02-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    chance of getting in trouble with the state , for the average Chinese, is pretty small.
    You mean so long as they don't challenge the power of the state.

Sadly this is creeping into HK with cases such as the graffiti 'artist' in Ma On Shan who was caught by the serious crime squad.
    Last edited by East_coast; 15-02-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You mean so long as they don't challenge the power of the state.

Sadly this is creeping into HK with cases such as the graffiti 'artist' in Ma On Shan who was caught by the serious crime squad.
    "The Serious Crime Squad"

You mean the 'Regional Crime Unit' don't you?

Stop being silly...how do you go from being the statistician's statistician to regurgitating populist garbage so quickly?

"The Serious Crime Squad"

You mean the 'Regional Crime Unit' don't you?

Stop being silly...how do you go from being the statistician's statistician to regurgitating populist garbage so quickly?
    Aploogies for being a little dramtic but but wasn't the CID unit for New territories East (they usually investigate more serious crime) used in an all night stake to catch one instance of graffitti written with a pen? Perhaps if the graffitti had praised the president of China they would have sent a less dramatic response. To be unconcerned by the 'inevitable' of a totalitarian regime is not a universal view (Some would say you have to have cash and a flexible moral code to be fully appreciative of such a regime)

Original Post Deleted
    You read my mind...back from my Sunday morning ride and off to yum cha...yum yum!

Aploogies for being a little dramtic but but wasn't the CID unit for New territories East (they usually investigate more serious crime) used in an all night stake to catch one instance of graffitti written with a pen?
    I don't know mate, it's your story...lol!

Perhaps if the graffitti had praised the president of China they would have sent a less dramatic response.
    Perhaps...

To be unconcerned by the 'inevitable' of a totalitarian regime is not a universal view
    Dogs have four legs...what?

(Some would say you have to have cash and a flexible moral code to be fully appreciative of such a regime)
    Maybe...what the hell are you whittering about?

I don't know mate, it's your story...lol!

If you want to look it please do.
    If you want to turn a blind eye please do.

$100 tourist tax

East_coast, I have to admit that while I found your posts interesting for a long time, you stopped making sense a while ago. What happened?

(I am not a friend of the CCP, just wondering)

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    East_coast, I have to admit that while I found your posts interesting for a long time, you stopped making sense a while ago. What happened?

(I am not a friend of the CCP, just wondering)
    That's my point. I don't care if he disagrees with me, just do it properly!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6