Like Tree229Likes

No more Cum Recycling :(

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    We can all do our own bit to help the environment!

http://io9.com/5938114/eight-things-...th-human-sperm
    Thank you for a very interesting link. One moment I thought the page was a hoax, the next I thought it was serious.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I hope it is not out of key if I add some language notes.

'Cum' is defined well in Collins Cobuild Dictionary: it forms 'a compound noun' which is 'partly one thing and partly another'. But the point is, I think, that the first in the pair is usually first in importance, or first chronologically, or both, as in these examples from the dictionary: The light in the barn-cum-garage was on ... a sort of teacher-cum-lexicographer. Or - perhaps because 'cum' suggests 'become' - it can imply that the first is merging into the second: our government-cum-shoe shiners. These cases don't really fit 'Litter cum Recyclables Collection Bin[s]' so, as kimwy66 says, 'and' is probably better. Even if 'cum' is being removed for the wrong reason, it's not wrong to remove it.

There may be a civil servant with a sharp eye for language. In a park I know the signs saying 'No Cycles' have been replaced with 'No Cycling'. A nice distinction.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Another language note.

Dan Savage, who writes the 'Savage Love' column for a Seattle newspaper (it is, or was, also carried in HK magazine) strongly disapproves of 'cum', not the word, the spelling.

He writes:

Of all the words given a second, sexual meaning through slang usage, why does this one require an alternate spelling? We don't "suk dik," eat "pussee," sit on "kocks," get "blohjahbs," or nuzzle "juggs," do we? "Cum" is an adolescent, Hustler magazine affectation that I simply cannot endorse.

And the fact that the word is both noun and verb further complicates the matter. As a noun, it's always cum: "Look, there's some cum lying there." "Oh, I have cum in my eye." Not so when used as a verb: "Come on me, baby." "He came on me."

And what if you need to use both the noun and verb forms in one sentence? Writing "He came in my mouth, so I swallowed his cum" is stylistically inconsistent, don't you think? Looks sloppy. How much simpler it is to use the standard four-letter spelling and allow the word to have, as so many words do, more than one meaning.

jayinhongkong likes this.

Will be removed as soon as graduates from the US can get their Summa and Laude degrees and come to work for the HK govt.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    Another language note.

Dan Savage, who writes the 'Savage Love' column for a Seattle newspaper (it is, or was, also carried in HK magazine) strongly disapproves of 'cum', not the word, the spelling.

He writes:

Of all the words given a second, sexual meaning through slang usage, why does this one require an alternate spelling? We don't "suk dik," eat "pussee," sit on "kocks," get "blohjahbs," or nuzzle "juggs," do we? "Cum" is an adolescent, Hustler magazine affectation that I simply cannot endorse.

And the fact that the word is both noun and verb further complicates the matter. As a noun, it's always cum: "Look, there's some cum lying there." "Oh, I have cum in my eye." Not so when used as a verb: "Come on me, baby." "He came on me."

And what if you need to use both the noun and verb forms in one sentence? Writing "He came in my mouth, so I swallowed his cum" is stylistically inconsistent, don't you think? Looks sloppy. How much simpler it is to use the standard four-letter spelling and allow the word to have, as so many words do, more than one meaning.
    if clarity is the goal, Savage could always just call it "come cum cum"
    R.O. likes this.

Perhaps change it to Litter Jizz Recycling Bins? According to the internet jizz is another word for cum.

I thought I'd updated this thread a few days ago, but I guess not.
    Anyway, in my tour of the NT, there was no more cum recycling in Ma On Shan when I was there the other day. (The green tape didn't even match, but whatever, it was still the same 'cover up just more obvious). One could still cum recycle in Sai Kung, however.

Someone is selling a Sofa cum Bed on that other expat site! I think he should be given the Expat Award for Latin Usage.

I'll get a picture next time I'm near cum receptacle.
    My wife likes her photo being taken

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Someone is selling a Sofa cum Bed on that other expat site! I think he should be given the Expat Award for Latin Usage.
    Maybe it's not Latin at all, the sofabed just needs a wash

Sent from my CT7004 using GeoClicks mobile app

Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1401062140.453805.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  683.0 KB

I found cum recycling in Wan Chai yesterday. Sorry for the funky angle but I didn't want to stand in the middle if the road to take a picture.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast