Like Tree41Likes

June 4th Candle Light Vigil - 2014 Edition

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Jasper Tsang Refuses Minute of Silence for June 4 Victims During Legco Meeting

http://hk-magazine.com/city-living/n...-legco-meeting

Impressive picture. Will the police come out with their usual bollox and say 5000 turned up?

usehername and Watercooler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Impressive picture. Will the police come out with their usual bollox and say 5000 turned up?
    That always makes me laugh.

"Protester said that 100,000 people attended the rally, police put the figure at 2 confused looking old men and a mangey stray dog."

Organisers say 180,000; police say 99,000.

And 20 people turned up at the No One Died In Tienanmen rival protest next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    I went last night, the sea of candles is something that has to be experienced first-hand. Awe-inspiring and gives you faith about people in HK that they (or at least some of them) do have a conscience. For every indifferent and callous local, there are also the locals who do care. Locals who have a sense of morality, they they will not forget nor will they be intimidated by Beijing. And I salute them for their bravery.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 05-06-2014 at 10:11 AM.

What i like is the way SCMP puts quotes around the record crowd, as in:

Sea of lights as ‘record crowd’ marks 25th anniversary of Tiananmen crackdown
    Given the police said 50k last year and this year they say 99k, I think we can say it is a record crowd, regardless of the organisers estimates. No need for the doubt-making slightly sarcastic single quotes.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...nmen-crackdown

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    What i like is the way SCMP puts quotes around the record crowd, as in:

Given the police said 50k last year and this year they say 99k, I think we can say it is a record crowd, regardless of the organisers estimates. No need for the doubt-making slightly sarcastic single quotes.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...nmen-crackdown
    Screw the SCMP. What matters are the actual people there. And their voice and demand was loud and clear last night.

From Hemlock

This event does a hundred times more for the city’s global standing than a year’s worth of official speeches blathering about economic-freedom rankings and hubs and zones. Yet our leaders mysteriously vanish into some invisible place to silently cringe and wish it wasn’t happening. Another of those curious ‘contradictions’.
    TheBrit, elle, shri and 4 others like this.

1989 Raw Video: Man vs. Chinese tank Tiananmen square