Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmbf

Jun 13 - Macau Ferry Crash

Closed Thread

Jun 13 - Macau Ferry Crash

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ferry...cau-1402641855

HONG KONG—Several dozens of people were injured Friday when a Macau-bound high-speed ferry hit a breakwater before it entered the gambling city's ferry terminal.

The high-speed ferry, operated by Shun Tak-China Travel Ship Management Ltd., was making a scheduled trip—one of dozens made by ferry operators each day—to the gambling mecca of Macau from Hong Kong. The accident took place at around 9:35 a.m. local time, around an hour after the ferry, carrying 220 passengers and 13 crew members, departed from Hong Kong, the company said.

Most of the 57 people sent to a local hospital after the accident were suffering from minor injuries, according to the ferry operator. Among the 233 aboard were eight Thais, four Koreans and one Japanese, and as of 3 p.m. local time, 50 of those at the hospital have already been discharged, it added.

Seems these incidents are happening more frequently recently.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    But I wonder why? Turbojet's high-speed Jetfoil service has been running for almost 3 decades now (and probably more). Nor is the Boeing 929 Jetfoil the fastest craft employed on the HK-Macau run, some of Turbojet's catamarans are actually faster.

Time to ban boats

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    But I wonder why? Turbojet's high-speed Jetfoil service has been running for almost 3 decades now (and probably more). Nor is the Boeing 929 Jetfoil the fastest craft employed on the HK-Macau run, some of Turbojet's catamarans are actually faster.
    Perhaps a deterioration in the quality of the captains? Correct me if I'm wrong but most of these incidents have been because of human error right?

Perhaps a deterioration in the quality of the captains? Correct me if I'm wrong but most of these incidents have been because of human error right?
    Its possible. Perhaps Turbojet has been cutting back on their crew training or they just couldn't hire any decent captains due to low pay or generally unattractive job conditions.

There is also the possibility of poor maintenance. Like I said, these jetfoils have been in service for decades. Boeing no longer makes them. Things breakdown more due to age or perhaps they were skimping on the necessary maintenance?