Like Tree20Likes

Investigation show SCMP editors tried to censor Tiananmen project

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Part 2 - the Op-ed - should serve as proof that there is no vendetta. I value the SCMP and we need it - but there are real problems with staff turnover and editorial interference at the moment. They can't deny the fall-out re: the multimedia piece, but I wish they had given some response, as there's a lot of good stuff going on too.

Last edited by lattimore; 05-07-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I do get a bit tired of expats kicking the SCMP. I doubt they would all be experts at writing and running a newspaper in this part of the world.
    The SCMP still does have some OK articles but often it is what is not reported rather than the accuracy of what is reported. Sadly the editorial and comments sections are now relegated to a cheerleading role for the policies of the local puppet government and the central authorities.
    Last edited by East_coast; 05-07-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Sadly the editorial and comments sections are now relegated to a cheerleading role for the policies of the local puppet government and the central authorities.
    You must be reading a very different paper to the one I read, then.

You must be reading a very different paper to the one I read, then.
    There are a few older journalists that still take an obvious critical view of government policy but I suspect the biggest difference is the bias of the reader.

The Spike thing was considered "great"???!? Did not know that. Seemed to be rather low quality and aimed at turning off as many people as possible.

>> as there is a risk to their jobs.

So, while they're happy to rant over a few G&Ts at the FCC, their pay check is worth more than their integrity. Is that what the summary is?

Ok, I'm being harsh. But tired of the gwailo lot going on about how bad things are for journalists, while going about doing whatever it takes to collect a pay check.

Last edited by shri; 06-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The Spike thing was considered "great"???!? Did not know that. Seemed to be rather low quality and aimed at turning off as many people as possible.
    Well, it's only my opinion. I bought every issue and appreciated it. But it could never get any advertising, so didn't survive.

I have just read the Part 2. That's a bit more constructive.

I do get a bit tired of expats kicking the SCMP. I doubt they would all be experts at writing and running a newspaper in this part of the world.
    And how much did SCMP pay you?
    lattimore likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    And how much did SCMP pay you?
    And the ad hominem attacks start...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    the gwailo lot going on about how bad things are for journalists, while going about doing whatever it takes to collect a pay check.
    Some would argue that any industry that used to be free of the needs of collusion with the government but now requires it is fair game for criticism.

The press is a very visible industry that touches daily on the way people think about things so probably rightly has a little more vocal support for its independence as a whole rather than say the road repairing industry.
    Last edited by East_coast; 06-07-2014 at 04:56 PM.

And the ad hominem attacks start...
    Me attack you? Surely not. I was just wondering about your vocal defense of SCMP since it does raise some questions.
    lattimore likes this.