Like Tree42Likes

Chinese eats and everyone goes ape *#@(), others do it and no one bats an eye

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Living overseas (anywhere) gives you a clarity when you come "home" that's hard to ignore. But short of sending all the other residents of HK somewhere else for a few years, it's hard to change anyone!
    Well, I figured if they're using social media to change HK negatively (plastering negative videos of mainlanders everyday so that the experience of a hundred people are shoved down the throats of 7 million others), I want to put a mirror next to them to show them the double standards they seem to be blind to.

i guess all these hard feelings against the mainland start with the whole perception that HKers have that since the handover and with a steady and deliberate repopulation China is wrecking their city and way of life, that certainly seems to be what Apple Daily and others are stirring up/making hay from

Titus likes this.

Changing local people's feelings towards mainlanders is abit like trying to convince a religious person God does not exist .... I have a local friend who has moved to the Mainland for work and HATES it with a passion. We visited recently and learned about all her feelings ... I'm not going to repeat them on a public forum but many of her statements about "how things were" were directly disprovable from easily available data (like my eyes .."this street is more dirty than Hong Kong... no, actually it's pretty much the same!") and so on. But my friend is completely unable to see any of it, so conditioned is she to the "local view".

Titus likes this.

not sure what the locals are going to do when the "floodgate" opens. granted, there is still a fair percentage of reasonable locals. maybe HK still has hope.

u know why mtr does not allow people to eat on the trains, catch 55k minibus as see why, it stinks like a rubbish bin and there hundreds on cockroachs as this minibus goes to sha tau kok and hundreds of cross border kids as well as adults catch, they eat their breakfast and chuck the wrappers and bits of food on the floor ( as it's legal in china)

that's why it's most disgusting public transport in HK ( almost comparable to sitting a taxi as some git puked on the floor and the taxi driver or the git didn't clean up properly)

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Changing local people's feelings towards mainlanders is abit like trying to convince a religious person God does not exist .... I have a local friend who has moved to the Mainland for work and HATES it with a passion. We visited recently and learned about all her feelings ... I'm not going to repeat them on a public forum but many of her statements about "how things were" were directly disprovable from easily available data (like my eyes .."this street is more dirty than Hong Kong... no, actually it's pretty much the same!") and so on. But my friend is completely unable to see any of it, so conditioned is she to the "local view".
    it's not about false perception

compare back streets of lohu to worst of HK, ie, sham shui po, kwun tong, ma tau wai as see the difference, in fact, you don't even have to compare the back streets, compare the public toilets ( I have seen worse in UK's festival portacabins though)

i'm glad he kept eating.. he seemed to take it in his stride... he seemed vaguely amused by it.

what happened to 'locals' minding their own business? no skin off his nose....

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    it's not about false perception

compare back streets of lohu to worst of HK, ie, sham shui po, kwun tong, ma tau wai as see the difference, in fact, you don't even have to compare the back streets, compare the public toilets ( I have seen worse in UK's festival portacabins though)
    This example was absolutely false perception. It was a specific area (where she lived) compared with a specific area (where she lived in HK). Actually we though the china location (which was really nice!) was nicer than the HK one....but we settled on "the same" for the sake of friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    i'm glad he kept eating.. he seemed to take it in his stride... he seemed vaguely amused by it.

what happened to 'locals' minding their own business? no skin off his nose....
    Read my other comment with what happens if it's a Chinese person eating instead. =P

This a rich expat, sitting in first class eating, so if he did get caught and fined by the MTR/KCR then he's OK with it.

BUT

If he had spilt sauce all over the seat and the seat had to be replaced, he'd cry blue murder, come on Geo of all places to seek legal advice, and then get told by some that its OK and he shouldn't have to pay for replacing the seat, just the fine, as there's no signage about the cost of replacing the seat, as they are sure that the MTR/KCR will give a few beers to a company so that they'll bump up the price on the invoice.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast