Like Tree78Likes

Anson Chan and Martin Lee travelling to UK for support of "Democracy" ?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    We have been granted universal suffrage after only 17 years of Chinese sovereignty
    The rest of your post is good, but this is not true, and likely never will be. We are merely being offered the chance to vote for one of three pro-Beijing candidates from 2017 onwards.
    East_coast and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I don't get this UK thing.

When you sell your car you may tell the new buyer "take care of it for me". But the new buyer has no obligation and you have no right to dictate what he does with it.
    It was sold with a 50 year international warranty and a driver but obviously you have to keep the service contract to keep the warranty valid. If you don't keep coming back for regular international check-ups who knows what your using to grease the wheels. The driver is obviously worried that an appalling maintenance regime and the neglect of not fitting any useful upgrades might mean an accident will happen before the 50 years is up.
    Last edited by East_coast; 04-09-2014 at 07:15 AM.
    HK_Katherine and bffallo like this.

So, I assume there is a consumer protection body somewhere for these international treaties that will force UK to do a mass recall and fix the problem before they hand back to China?

What I'm suggesting is that HK politicians should not be going to the UK with begging bowls. I don't think the current lot of politicians and the voters of the UK have the moral backbone to see this one through ... other than issue weak statements in support of democracy and all that.

Best to accept that democracy is a HK problem at the moment and stake holders are pretty much all in this neighbourhood.

Last edited by shri; 04-09-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    So, I assume there is a consumer protection body somewhere for these international treaties that will force UK to do a mass recall and fix the problem before they hand back to China?
    Yes, the UN.

But that does require backbone, you're right, which is lacking around the world in the face of Chinese investment.

There is an international claims arbitration body but both the seller and the buyer are on the principle adjustment committee and they never seem to agree on much and have much bigger claims to argue over than a generally posh vehicle with a blinkered driver and the detachable super luxury class and rather cramped cattle class.

shri and bookblogger like this.

But, using the car analogy, isn't this a manufacturer's defect?

Would it not have been simpler if democracy was designed and introduced as a standard feature in the car, before it was sold? Or was it deemed an unnecessary and expensive feature - much like safety belts were, at some point?

Using the UN as a consumer friendly arbitrator would not work. Both parties involved have veto rights. Would turn into an epic fight...

DEmocracy was proposed for the vehicle management system but the prospective buyer vetoed that very early on as it would have required the use of the dominion class of control system and everyone pretty much agreed that this independent open source method once installed there was now way it could be sold to the new owner as they wouldn't be able to work with it and the vehicles independence would not respond to their approach. As no one else could buy the vehicle it obviously made no sense to install the dominion class control system.

shri and drumbrake like this.

what if we just switch it off and then back on again?

shri, bookblogger and usehername like this.

bookblogger - Post 33.

I was ironically quoting some words of Li Fei: “In 17 years, [China] has completed a journey that the British once did, but one that took the western world 100 to 200 years.” Sorry. Irony is the hardest thing to do in writing, especially on a computer screen.

bookblogger likes this.

anson chan and martin lee piss me off for their act of stupidity in going to the UK to lobby for democracy in HK. First of all, UK has no jurisdiction over HK and the vague explanation written in the Joint Declaration is exactly what led to this situation. We can't go back in time. What we can do is one of two things - fight against this ruling with vetoing it in 6 mths time when LegCo debates that or accept it. Doing the latter would lead to every citizen each having a vote on the CE, doing the former would mean we go to the current status quo where only 1800 odd of the nominating committee vote on the CE.

I, as a registered voter hope they allow this motion to pass the LegCo and we can finally vote for our CE. We are after all one country - we certainly cannot have a CE who is anti-China.

rocketifty likes this.