March against the incinerator!!!

Closed Thread

March against the incinerator!!!

I can't believe this is even being discussed.... the Hong Kong government is proposing to build an incinerator on Shek Kwu Chau (near Lantau). I haven't been able to keep up with all the details, but it is getting VERY close to being passed now, and LegCo will vote on it (and whether to spend $200 billion HKD on it) on Oct. 03. This is just so disheartening in a city where people don't think twice about using take-away containers, but complain that air pollution is the top issue in HK (according to my "student surveys", heh). I've been kayaking around Lantau -- there are beautiful dolphins and fish jumping everywhere; there's such beautiful corals in HK's waters (and, yes, the air pollution is quite bad!). It's such a pity that this is the only solution the government is seeing, when we're just being ignorant and not more responsible for our actions/behavior!

There is an online petition against it here: SupportHK
    And someone has compiled a useful guide about a march against it on Sat., Sept. 27 here: https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

If anyone has any suggestions about what more we can do about this, please please let me know!

There's nothing wrong with incineration per se. It can be done very cleanly and efficiently with no pollution. Main problem with this proposal is that they have spent so long arguing about it that the technology is outdated and they could do better and cheaper with more modern kit but nobody has the balls to reopen the debate.
    HK generates far too much unnecessary waste, I agree. But a complete change of their culture is not going to happen overnight and in the interim the waste has to go somewhere.