Like Tree22Likes

Hong Kong chief executive CY Leung faces questions over secret $7m payout from Australian firm

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hong Kong chief executive CY Leung faces questions over secret $7m payout from Australian firm

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...gue-set-friday

The story behind this story is surely the most interesting story!

The timing of the article is... convenient
    TheBrit, drumbrake and snoopy1234 like this.

Didn't see anything on SCMP related to their headline.. questions being asked or answered .. just a headline. Am I missing something?

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Didn't see anything on SCMP related to their headline.. questions being asked or answered .. just a headline. Am I missing something?
    Ain't that suspicious eh? (Although I think the reason could be much more simple-an error made by the webmaster. But conspiracy theories sure sounds more fun, haha).

No need for conspiracies. Was just curious if I was missing some obvious info on their site.

alph and Rob2020 like this.

Interesting different style of reporting by the Standard..

Chief reveals holdings in property firm - The Standard

Chief reveals holdings in property firm
    Eddie Luk
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012
    Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying revealed yesterday that his company Wintrack Worldwide and its subsidiaries hold shares in an overseas branch of property consultancy DTZ Holdings Plc, of which he is a minority shareholder.

I won't hear of politicians being associated with illegal activity. Let us not tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by d-28:
    I won't hear of politicians being associated with illegal activity. Let us not tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories.
    This is you being sarcastic, right?

Pretty obvious this is why he'll step down, nothing at all to do with O.C. Standard procedure even in the west. The only difference, usually in the west it would be, 'To spend more time with family', or, 'For health reasons.', or, 'insert b.s. here'.

Last edited by Enderman; 08-10-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Cho-man, Skyhook and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    Pretty obvious this is why he'll step down, nothing at all to do with O.C. Standard procedure even in the west. The only difference, usually in the west it would be, 'To spend more time with family', or, 'For health reasons.', or, 'insert b.s. here'.
    If (and that is still a very big if at this point) CY steps down, it won't be now or right after after OC has ended. Nor will they likely announce his departure due to OC, as you said. The first CE,Tung Chee-Wah, step down due to "health" reasons after all (when it was clear to all it was his mishandling of the Article 23 implementation that led to his departure). All that assumes Beijing has lost confidence in CY, which we can't know for certain at this point. Maybe Beijing has lost confidence, but still strongly back CY publicly now to avoid a greater instability for HK (and loss of face for the CCP). Only later when things have calmed down will they let CY go. That is what happened to Tung Chee-Wah.

Alternatively, Beijing does have full confidence in CY, publicly and privately, so they have no intention of letting him go. So CY will be staying put until 2017 at the earliest, and that is a very real likelihood.

The more important issue is that it doesn't matter who is the next CE, under the current system (which will continue if the 2017 reform is voted down), he has little political capital or credibility. He will be hamstrung by the same political structure bedeviling CY. You are beholden to Beijing yet has to answer to HK people at the same time. This has shown to be increasingly unworkable.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-10-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast