Like Tree35Likes

19/10 Occupy Updates

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

While we are talking about Mongkok, good piece from the NY times.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/09..._r=0&referrer=

This western-looking chap invariably sporting a hat seems to be a career anti-democracy camper.

The caption on this one (BBC 18 Oct) reads: "Many residents and businesses are opposed to the protests"

He's been popping up at various random anti-democracy flash mobs and even qualified to speak for "the silent minority" on CCTV news.

Has he been interviewed by any of the independent freelancers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    This western-looking chap invariably sporting a hat seems to be a career anti-democracy camper.

The caption on this one (BBC 18 Oct) reads: "Many residents and businesses are opposed to the protests"

He's been popping up at various random anti-democracy flash mobs and even qualified to speak for "the silent minority" on CCTV news.

Has he been interviewed by any of the independent freelancers yet?
    Maybe the students can help him with his grammar.
    bookblogger likes this.

Russian ???

I thought it looked a bit like the infamous PDLM/Grunty long banned from this site!

A pedant would never make such a glaring error in spelling ...... or would they ???? Conspiracy theorist write here -----------------

Since Grunty's been on the barricades for many days and nights, and was arrested on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning at Lung Wo Road, you'll need to try some other ideas....

bookblogger and cookie09 like this.

What's with the giant mobiles being pointed at the police on the Mong Kok barricade?

David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    East_coast, Post 21 -

From the beginning I have been against the Mongkok action because
    - the Admiralty occupation is already large enough
    - there are no particular government buildings there
    - the disruption may cause the protestors to lose support
    - it provokes the triads
    - it has attracted some more aggressive types.

However, I see your point.
    I initially thought the same as you. However, having been to the protest sites and talked to people, I would say that Mongkok is in a sense strategic. If Mongkok is cleared then the police will focus all their attention on Admirality and clear it - regardless of any talks.

Certainly triads have clashed with protesters. However, I don't think the presence of the OC protest provokes the triads per se. Rather, I think *someone* paid the triads to come in. Robert Chow of the Silent Majority claimed that the triads were defending their turf, but from what I could see the protest location is a main street with luxury brands. I just expect the triad business are in the back streets.

Live now.

AAJA Asia Hangout: Occupy Hong Kong Deconstructed
    Watch live via YouTube on Sunday Oct. 19 10:00 – 10:45 PM HKT | 10:00 – 10:45 AM EST | 7:00 – 7:45 am PST

Umbrellas defending from tear gas. Songs of freedom echoing in rainstorms. Tent cities springing up. Smartphone lights dancing in the air. These are the sights and sounds of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests that have gripped this city for more than half a month. Media coverage has come fast and furious but how fair and how well have the protests been covered? What questions still must be asked?

Join AAJA Asia for an online discussion on Google Hangout with local, on-the-ground journalists covering Hong Kong’s unprecedented pro-democracy protests:

Speakers:

Erik MAK Ka Wai, Producer, Presenter, Public and Current Affairs Section, Radio Television Hong Kong
    Leon Lee, Web Editor, Young Post, South China Morning Post
    Shirley Yam, Vice-chairperson, Hong Kong Journalists Association

Host

Zela Chin, Senior Producer/Reporter, News & Information Services, Television Broadcasts

Details

Date: Sunday, October 19, 2014
    Time: 10:00 – 10:45 PM HKT | 10:00 – 10:45 AM EST | 7:00 – 7:45 am PST
    Google+: https://plus.google.com/events/c74j9...qaluu09npt7o20

YouTube:
    Last edited by Mefisto; 19-10-2014 at 11:07 PM.