Week 4 Occupy Updates / Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16

Today 10chars

David Smith likes this.

Tent city 10chars

David Smith

more referendums

The students have set up a vote/referendum for Occupy Central supporters from 7-11pm on Sunday and Monday. It is at all three protest sites. You sign something saying you support Occupy Central and then vote:-

1.The supplementary report to the Central Government should recommend the 31 August NPC decision is withdrawn (Y/N)

2. The proposed platform for constitutional reform must affirm abolition of Function Constituencies in 2016 and civic nomination for the CE in 2017 (Y/N)

I fear the students may have overplayed their hand and the government may simply refuse to talk with them. I would rather they keep discussions going in the hope of getting at least some concessions on the nominating committee. Still, I will probably vote on Sunday to show my support.

Meanwhile, Robert Chow's Alliance for Peace and Democracy as set up 408 stations around the city, at which residents can sign a petition, over the next 9 days, to end the occupation. I fear they may get more signatures than the new Occupy Central vote.
    Last edited by David Smith; 25-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith:
    The students have set up a vote/referendum for Occupy Central supporters from 7-11pm on Sunday and Monday. It is at all three protest sites. You sign something saying you support Occupy Central and then vote:-

1.The supplementary report to the Central Government should recommend the 31 August NPC decision is withdrawn (Y/N)

2. The proposed platform for constitutional reform must affirm abolition of Function Constituencies in 2016 and civic nomination for the CE in 2017 (Y/N)

I fear the students may have overplayed their hand and the government may simply refuse to talk with them. I would rather they keep discussions going in the hope of getting at least some concessions on the nominating committee. Still, I will probably vote on Sunday to show my support.

Meanwhile, Robert Chow's Alliance for Peace and Democracy as set up 408 stations around the city, at which residents can sign a petition, over the next 9 days, to end the occupation. I fear they may get more signatures than the new Occupy Central vote.
    And you wonder where Robert Chow's funding is from. Jimmy Lai's funding has full of problems? Well I bet Chow's source of funding might not be too clean either. But of course, we'll never know.

David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    And you wonder where Robert Chow's funding is from. Jimmy Lai's funding has full of problems? Well I bet Chow's source of funding might not be too clean either. But of course, we'll never know.
    Quite! And in fact I got it wrong it's not 408 stations, it's 908. I heard last time people were paid 20k a month to collect signatures. Interesting question - to what extent has his activities and all the money given to (at least some) blue ribbons, boosted the hk economy?
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith:
    Quite! And in fact I got it wrong it's not 408 stations, it's 908. I heard last time people were paid 20k a month to collect signatures. Interesting question - to what extent has his activities and all the money given to (at least some) blue ribbons, boosted the hk economy?
    Certain streets may have been affected a little but the economic activity throughout Hong Kong will surely be pretty much the same. People are avoiding 100 metres of Nathan Road but that doesn't mean when they go out shopping they have stopped spending money overall.

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16