Like Tree43Likes

Occupy HK - Student Talks - Live Streaming etc...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Occupy HK - Student Talks - Live Streaming etc...

Don't think I'll be able to post updates...

So, here are some links ...

Ex-justice secretary Wong part of expert team who trained students for crunch talks | South China Morning Post

Former Justice Secretary Wong Yan-lung and a number of other prominent Hong Kong figures have offered student protest leaders “intensive training” ahead of their talks with government officials that begin at 6pm today, the Posthas learned.Wong, Democratic Party heavyweight Martin Lee Chu-ming SC and a group of constitutional law experts have offered advice from a legal perspective, while Dr Joseph Chan Cho-wai, a former head of the University of Hong Kong’s department of politics, has run through the political arguments.
    Occupy Central co-founder Dr Chan Kin-man, an associate professor of sociology at Chinese University, was also part of the training team.
    Student leaders will meet senior government officials led by Chief Secretary Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor for the talks which will be broadcast live on a variety of platforms.
    Live Broadcast On: 直播 - myTV - tvb.com (no idea of this will be interpreted / subtitled in English.

SCMP Live Blog: LIVE: Hong Kong students prepare to meet government officials for democracy talks | South China Morning Post

frankly i hope the students don't let themselves get bogged down into legal and detailed political arguments. i think they can win this round iff they stay high-level and outline the big issues (CY and his idiocy, government-business collusion that impacts the daily life of HK people/property/oligarchies, the real will of HK people to have a say, etc).

there's not much that Carrie and all her underlings can say on these issues that would not make them look like fools. the best Carrie can hope for is to engage the students into details legalistic discussions where they will win the day for sure. otherwise their second best option is to fluff around by giving lengthy mindless answers to simple questions, thereby obscuring the issues

I have to say though (and I hope CY and co get it..but hey I know am dreaming)...the protest, now this round of televised discussions etc etc...THIS is what makes HK different from the mainland, THIS is what the protesters are fighting for....

usehername, Cho-man, alph and 3 others like this.

CY came out saying making the nomination committee more democratic is a possibility. so let me see, the government will offer (after 20 rounds of talk):
    - a new report to beijing saying what HK thinks
    - an investigation into police conduct chaired by an independent judge
    - some vague promises to make the election to the nomination committee more democratic

all of which wont make an inch of difference to beijing as long as the 50% threshold stays, but it could be enough to give the protesters face

Cho-man likes this.

I think the comments in thread #1 are beautiful and shows how much respect OC has. I would thank them all.

Live stream up

Does the discussion start at 6pm? I've switched to the 'live' feed, and all I see are the people sitting there, and the journalists adjusting the cameras.

Shit....there's English translation over the top of the Cantonese TVB live feed.

Cho-man likes this.

It started with an English translation but stopped WTF

Cho-man likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast