Like Tree1Likes

Equality watchdog's consultation perverts family values, school heads say

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Equality watchdog's consultation perverts family values, school heads say

The Family School Sexual Orientation Discrimination Ordinance Concern Group - apparently there's this thing called the Equal Opportunities Commission and it might lead to the breakdown of society.

We've been in touch with parents and schools on the topic of homosexuality and de facto relationships ... and many expressed the view that these are problematic.
    As well as leading to a breakdown of traditional family values, such changes would make it hard for schools to conduct moral and ethical education, they said.
    Equality watchdog's consultation perverts family values, school heads say | South China Morning Post

#StayClassyHongKong

Last edited by kimwy66; 31-10-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Moved out of the What pisses you off thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Editor:
    Moved out of the What pisses you off thread.
    thanks! thought afterwards I should have made a thread.

This article says that the group has 100 school pricipals invovled. These are the people that say that making homosexual and de facto relationships part of the anti-discrimination laws would prevent them teaching moral and ethical education.

Which begs the question, what are they teaching them now?

Also, interesting note on that article - the leader of Family School Sexual Orientation Discrimination Ordinance Concern Group is Joshua Wong's father.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I put this down to too many religiously affiliated schools in Hong Kong. Secularise the lot of them.

Can laws really move faster than societal values?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    But is being anti-homosexuality really a thing here? Being a relatively non-religious country it is not something I have been aware of. The de facto relationships not being popular I would more put down to lack of space for young people to live together outside of the family home.

I suspect if you dig further you would find that this is a group of christian school principals who are opposed on grounds of religious morality rather than strongly held societal values. Their leader, Roger Wong is a strict Lutherian.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

Yes they can. When law makers do not represent the larger society, they do move a lot faster than society, specially when incentivised by business ...

Sometimes they move a lot slower than society. Gun control in the United States is a prime example...
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Their leader, Roger Wong is a strict Lutherian.
    Must have not gotten the memos from various other Lutheran organisations (I went to a Lutheran school for a while and found them to be rather liberal ... had to look up their views on gay rights to confirm).

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The usual excuse is "cultural values", i.e. Chinese people cannot accept homosexuality, which of course is utter bovine excrement.

My views are ... schools should stay at a much higher level. Turn kids into independent thinkers. Leave values and culture to the parents...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast