Like Tree83Likes

Week 8 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Walking into work today, via IFC / Exchange Square, quite a lot of police out. More than I have seen since the protests started. Both uniformed and plain clothed.....

Cho-man likes this.

Maybe CY & Co just wanted the uniforms out to rack up some much-needed late hours and practice the layout of the slightly unlevel playing field and of course the stock market also needs special protection today from those anarchistic young anti-capitalist, I mean anti-communist bad elements.

Reddit's usually good for some coffee break reading:

[11:46] ming pao expose finds leader of so-called ‘green ribbons’ has links to chinese military, global ethnic chinese assoc http://t.co/nBVcwCxNRp
    — isabella steger (@stegersaurus)November 17, 2014

[11:45] Peoples' Daily (overseas edition) slams HK school for brainwashing
    Another lovely day in Hong Kong.

I bought BOC on the rumor but am planning to keep holding it. Its early days yet for HK connect.

Interesting to see how this promised action by the police this week to clear the OC will pan out. I am assuming the police will have learnt their tear gas lessons and will employ a different tactic to clear the roads. I am guessing this will take place in the early morning hours to catch the protesters unaware (and when their numbers are at their lowest).

Of course, the protesters may also have contingencies in store to counter the expected police action. Everyone is saying they will move to another spot to occupy the roads. But if so...where, and would the police intelligence gather info to forestall their plan regroup location? We'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by Cho-man; 17-11-2014 at 03:01 PM.

yes I think they will come early in the morning too. If you go there during the day there aren't that many people around, there are just a lot of tents so it looks crowded but that's all. The police has to do something, it's like everyone sit there not knowing what to do. The longer they will stay the more crap they will have to clean up. They're building tables etc.... Wonder where they will put all that stuff once they're done.
    I saw some crazy people joining them now, there was this white dude the other day, naked in the bushes, looked like he was on acid lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    yes I think they will come early in the morning too. If you go there during the day there aren't that many people around, there are just a lot of tents so it looks crowded but that's all. The police has to do something, it's like everyone sit there not knowing what to do. The longer they will stay the more crap they will have to clean up. They're building tables etc.... Wonder where they will put all that stuff once they're done.
    I saw some crazy people joining them now, there was this white dude the other day, naked in the bushes, looked like he was on acid lol.
    Of course, if the police miscalculate (again), it will re-energize the movement just when it is beginning to die down. So I think its very much a double-edged sword for the police. The students can be flexible and adapt on the run, while the police have to plan carefully before engaging in a clearance operation.

There are therefore three possibilities:
    1. The OC movement is cleared out and ended, with its leaders arrested, charged and jailed.
    2. The police action backfires and enlarge the OC movement to even a greater extent than now.
    3 . The police succeeds in clearing Admiralty and Mongkok but the students manage to regroup at another location and OC movement continues, albeit in a somewhat different guise and location.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 17-11-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Of course, if the police miscalculate (again), it will re-energize the movement just when it is beginning to die down. So I think its very much a double-edged sword for the police. The students can be flexible and adapt on the run, while the police have to plan carefully before engaging in a clearance operation.

There are therefore three possibilities:
    1. The OC movement is cleared out and ended, with its leaders arrested, charged and jailed.
    2. The police action backfires and enlarge the OC movement to even a greater extent than now.
    3 . The police succeeds in clearing Admiralty and Mongkok but the students manage to regroup at another location and OC movement continues, albeit in a somewhat different guise and location.

yeah exactly that is a catch 22. Each time the police intervened the movement grew bigger. So they will need to find a way to do it without getting them angry, which seems impossible. With Technology it's very easy to contact a group of people and get them to help them.

I was working in London during occupy London movement, basically the police waited until the winter, it got so cold many people left, and that is when they decided to clean up, it was efficient!

Issue is HK does not get this cold, and people there are way more organized. So it will be tough.

A little thing from 2008. I had forgotten that Xi Jinping came to HK then. Those paying attention might have learnt something.

By (Sir ) David Tang:
    Last week Vice-President Xi Jinping, who is favourite to succeed Hu Jintao, arrived in Hong Kong to inspect the equestrian facilities for the [Olympic] games. He openly lectured the local government to make damned sure that nothing goes wrong. Hong Kong's Chief Executive (Sir) Donald Tsang never smiled a more nervous smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Interesting to see how this promised action by the police this week to clear the OC will pan out.
    I'm afraid they'll let the Anti-OC mop enforce the court order themselves. It being the duty of all good citizens and such.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I'm afraid they'll let the Anti-OC mop enforce the court order themselves. It being the duty of all good citizens and such.
    These thugs have indeed been "useful idiots" for the government so far. But to let them execute the injunction would render the police truly impotent.

In that case it really will be "mob justice". Maybe HK's tourist tag should be renamed from "city of life" to "city of mob rule". It dosen't have the same ring as "life" but "mob"might be a more accurate description...
    Last edited by Cho-man; 17-11-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    100LL likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast