Like Tree83Likes

Week 8 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Day 50 today isn't it?

David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Day 50 today isn't it?
    I never thought it would last this long!

They had some questionnaires in Admiralty today, so anyone could go and give their comments and suggestions for future of the movement and how it should proceed.

Obviously the injunctions are being used as a fig leaf, as the police and government know they don't have the moral authority to clear the protests of their own accord. It is very unsatisfactory and more attempts at political negotiation, would have been far better.

I don't think the hearings should have been ex-parte, nor treated as urgent, as the occupation has gone on so long. I also wish the court had dug more into exactly who these organisations are (one appears to be a DAB front for gathering votes and a FC, with no actual commercial operations). In my opinion, it would also have been in the public interest if witnesses had been cross-examined on the extent of economic damage and evidence thereof.

However, these are illegal occupations and it is hard to see how a court could reasonably refuse an injunction to clear a road used on a bus route, or remove a barrier in front of a car park. Of course, I would not be surprised if the police are exceptionally helpful and proceed to clear far more than listed in the original injunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    That would suggest the HK Gov could ban people it did not feel should come into Hong Kong from the mainland.
    Pregnant ladies

Having observed all that has taken place on Occupy I would say my support is overall with the HK people. The protesters may be a little clueless but they are surely better and not worse than some of the very nasty things being done to them and to HK organized by China. I could type a lot here but in summary HK is a special place and I would not like to see it slowly destroyed by China. So to me its about more than just a fight for democracy, but rather a fight to preserve all things special in HK.

And please don't criticize me for being racist or anti chinese (as happened on another forum). Its nothing to do with race. I have Chinese friends, and remember HK people themselves are Chinese. I am anti-China doing bad things to HK, that is all.

my company (who is linked to a major developer who has close sources in the police) officially tells us that we should prepare our BCP plans for Monday pm when Admiralty clearance will start

Original Post Deleted
    this crossed my mind too and something in me tells me that this is just the build up of a threat every now and then (without follow through) in order to wear the protestors down. remember the time when all university professors came out and warned of the gravest consequences if protestors don't go home. exactly nothing happened back then

David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    this crossed my mind too and something in me tells me that this is just the build up of a threat every now and then (without follow through) in order to wear the protestors down. remember the time when all university professors came out and warned of the gravest consequences if protestors don't go home. exactly nothing happened back then
    Yes, thanks for the update. BCP does sound like a full clearance. To fulfil the terms of the injunction, I think only a few barricades need to be removed (and in fact one road has full access to citic tower now). I haven't seen this rumour circulated on twitter though, which makes me think it might not just be a threat. If they really tried to remove the entire admiralty site tomorrow, then in my opinion, they will not succeed.

Original Post Deleted
    Or else they just can't get themselves organised.

Heavy presence of law enforcement incl. senior officers and apparently undercovers wearing ribbons in Mong Kok tonight with larger crowds of protesters as well. Some third parties may be trying to create incidents to make things more interesting.

Seems like the administration is gradually getting ready to start their end game using the uniforms. CY continues acting as if public dissent doesn't even exist. Well me might have a point in that he or his top echelons really aren't legally answerable to Hong Kong people for their actions. Besides he's been busy integrating HK's money markets with those north of the border. A whole different level of accountability there. (pun unintended)

Reddit has running updates as usual.

Cho-man likes this.

Doubt it will be today considering the HK-Connect starts today. China will want to make sure that is as successful as possible, so more likely will be focused on using state funds to buy up and give HK stocks a bounce, rather than the adverse publicity of cracking down on democracy protesters. HK stock exchange 388 should rally today!!!

Cho-man likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast