Like Tree118Likes

Week 9 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13

Thousands of Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters clash with police as they step up move for reforms | Daily Mail Online

Loved this comment the BOLD part.

HarveyHK, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, about an hour ago

..And it rumbles on! Most people here are sick of this now, the 'protesters' have had their say and its well past time they moved on. There seemed to be a surge last nite, in the number of 'protesters' swelling to about a few thousand. Now there is a rumour of an anti-protest, made by all the poor workers who have lost out on their lively hoods, over the last couple of months. Good job this protest took place in HK, if it had happened in the west it would have 'ended' on day 5, with many dead and many more in hospital; and prison. The HK authorities have been far far too lenient, far too soft. One 'protester' said to me 'we want to select our officials like you do in the UK', I had to tell him we don't and that the parties select their own leader and then we get to vote for the one we like! He looked at me confused and said 'but that's what happens here now?' I said I know, so go home and stop upsetting people's lives with this pointless 'protest' !!
    Skyhook likes this.

David Smith
    Its a rather ignorant comment. Some people think they know everything just because they were born in a western democratic country, when in fact they know NOTHING. So HKHarvey says that the CE in HK is chosen by political parties just like in the UK and the people have no say?

Umm...it is illegal for the CE to be affiliated with a political party in HK. The reason being that China thought democrats would have the most popular political parties and wanted to make sure that they did not control the CE. So no, the CE is not chosen by political parties in HK.

If the CE was chosen by political parties, e.g. elected by Legco geographic constituency councillors, then I think most protesters would find that acceptable and go home. Don't forget that another key demand is to abolish functional constituencies to make the HK system more like the UK and the rest of the world. Don't forget democrats have about 55% of the vote. Do you really think in the UK a party with 55% of the popular vote (i.e. a landslide victory) would be essentially powerless, constantly have their policies vetoed and overuled and have no chance of selecting the PM?

If we put the HK CE election in UK terms then the system is equivalent to having the UK PM directly appointed by a committee comprising US diplomats stationed in the UK, CEOs of the top 20 companies in the FTSE 100 and conservative members of the House of Lords.
    Last edited by David Smith; 01-12-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    Mefisto, R.O. and usehername like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    One 'protester' said to me 'we want to select our officials like you do in the UK', I had to tell him we don't and that the parties select their own leader and then we get to vote for the one we like! He looked at me confused and said 'but that's what happens here now?' I said I know, so go home and stop upsetting people's lives with this pointless 'protest' !!
    The operative difference of course being the plural word 'parties'.
    usehername likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13