Like Tree236Likes

Week 10 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Why report them? You going to delete them? That's censorship. Fight them in free democratic air.

shri - I am not happy that admin personnel naturally assume that 'many if not most' people with an alternate view of the OC movement are trolls. Please apologise, or withdraw, or rephrase your comment.
    I thought that admin on an expat forum would be more unbiased and impartial than your comment reveals!

I thought that admin on an expat forum would be more unbiased and impartial than your comment reveals!
    We are unbiased and impartial. However, there is a shit load of cleanup work that needs to get done... and I stand by the comment based on what we see on a daily basis.

If someone has signed up and has a singular focus, no matter how long they've been active for, we have the right to adopt a bias based on their posts.

We're human after all.

If anyone wants a free for all, youtube and reddit are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Why report them? You going to delete them? That's censorship. Fight them in free democratic air.
    Oh yes, the next time a dog barks all night and keeps you and your family awake. Please convene a neighbourhood meeting, vote on strict but fair measures after nine rounds of consultations.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Never seen a long hunger strike in Hong Kong. The fireman only managed a few days. The odd politician has done one for 12 hours; what is known as 'a busy day with no time for lunch' for the rest of us.

It won't be long before they are 'collapsing' and stretchered off. We aren't going to see Suffragette-style dedication here.
    Tbh good, I hope they give up soon. It was a silly decision. Scholarism managed to get rid of national education by stirring up public debate. Their best bet is to do the same with the election.

The pro OC and anti OC proponents are both generally singularly focused - after all, this debate is very polarising.
    Permitting one side to comment at the expense of the other would be clearly unfair.
    Personal insults such as calling someone a troll, drug taker, intellectually challenged, or a liar should not be permitted no matter which side of the argument they come from. As a new person to this forum yesterday I have been called all of those things by one or two members.
    'Playing the ball not the man' is a popular western sporting analogy where I come from - one that should be adopted here.
    Whilst I don't envy the job that you have to sort through the comments on this forum please don't forget that those on the receiving of end of such defamatory comments and insults are human too!
    Perhaps the political threads should be removed from geoexpat all together...

Quote Originally Posted by discosue:
    The pro OC and anti OC proponents are both generally singularly focused - after all, this debate is very polarising.
    Permitting one side to comment at the expense of the other would be clearly unfair.
    Personal insults such as calling someone a troll, drug taker, intellectually challenged, or a liar should not be permitted no matter which side of the argument they come from. As a new person to this forum yesterday I have been called all of those things by one or two members.
    'Playing the ball not the man' is a popular western sporting analogy where I come from - one that should be adopted here.
    Whilst I don't envy the job that you have to sort through the comments on this forum please don't forget that those on the receiving of end of such defamatory comments and insults are human too!
    Perhaps the political threads should be removed from geoexpat all together...
    See, now they are even trying to censor what we can or cannot say. I did not once tell this wumao what she can or cannot say.

Bottom line, anyone is free to post but that does not mean one is not free to comment on it, especially when they refuse to admit mistakes, keep hammering on the same point despite being discredited and try to steer the discussion away from the main points.

Cho-man: It is easy for you to say that economic suffering by your fellow HK-ers is merely the' price to pay' ... Did you ever ask the businesses along the occupied streets if that was OK with them?
    Would you be willing to pay this economic price yourself?
    What price are you paying personally for your stance and what sacrifices are you making for democracy?
    Please answer these questions honestly.
    NB: You have failed to recognise that increased time to get to work and home again etc due to road closures has an economic and social impact too.

Quote Originally Posted by discosue:
    Cho-man: It is easy for you to say that economic suffering by your fellow HK-ers is merely the' price to pay' ... Did you ever ask the businesses along the occupied streets if that was OK with them?
    Would you be willing to pay this economic price yourself?
    What price are you paying personally for your stance and what sacrifices are you making for democracy?
    Please answer these questions honestly.
    NB: You have failed to recognise that increased time to get to work and home again etc due to road closures has an economic and social impact too.
    You fail to recognize that many of us are willing to put up with a little inconvenience for the sake of supporting the OC. There is an older thread here about whether the OC inconvenienced you, and the vast majority of posters said it doesn't matter whether there was inconvenience, because they get to enjoy some cleaner air, less traffic and yes, support the OC.

Civil disobedience will always bring inconvenience to others. Since the government has failed to listen to calmer voices of dissent, more radical action is the price. If this affects some people, so be it. And again, how big is this impact if it does not affect the overall economy? Again and again, you ignored the fact raised by other posters that the overall economy is not affected by the OC. Get that in your head.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-12-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Cho-man: It is clear that you have not been reading either the comments made by me or Caruderma ... why do I say this?
    If you had been reading them then you would not fail to see that English is my first language whereas English is possibly not Caruderma's first language.
    Go back and re-read them and then try and tell me that I am in fact two people.
    As you appear so fixated on this aspect perhaps it comes from 'the pot calling the kettle black' ...are you 'the pot'?

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast