Like Tree236Likes

Week 10 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32
    David Smith

I think CY knows the reforms stand no chance of passing, but is just acting on orders from Beijing. Quite possibly the communist administrators have limited understanding of how to win votes in a parliament which is not run by rubber stamp. What limited understanding they do have probably comes from dealing with FC reps, DAB politicians and sub-sectors of the CE Election Committee. Democrats are a slightly different breed.

I might be wrong, but short of blackmail I don't see what leverage the government and Liaison office has over democrats. They are already excluded from government and vilified in the press. And the democratic party was harshly punished in the 2012 elections, after having compromised with the government over the 2010 reforms.

The NPC decision seems too restrictive for any meaningful last minute concessions and any appeal to public support will be counter balanced by future large scale protests and the 800k in the July Popvote who opted overwhelmingly for a veto.

Last edited by David Smith; 09-12-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    Cho-man, threesummers and Mefisto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith:
    I think CY knows the reforms stand no chance of passing, but is just acting on orders from Beijing. Quite possibly the communist administrators have limited understanding of how to win votes in a parliament which is not run by rubber stamp. What limited understanding they do have probably comes from dealing with FC reps, DAB politicians and sub-sectors of the CE Election Committee. Democrats are a slightly different breed.

I might be wrong, but short of blackmail I don't see what leverage the government and Liaison office has over democrats. They are already excluded from government and vilified in the press. And the democratic party was harshly punished in the 2012 elections, after having compromised with the government over the 2010 reforms.

The NPC decision seems too restrictive for any meaningful last minute concessions and any appeal to public support will be counter balanced by future large scale protests and the 800k in the July Popvote who opted overwhelmingly for a veto.
    I heard Wong Yuk-man, the former LSD party founder (but still legco member) might be vulnerable to pressure. His achilles heel is his son, who was caught taking illegal drugs on the mainland and was held there (not sure if he is still held there or not). That would have given Beijing a powerful leverage over Wong. Even if not over the direct safety of his son, then on the dirt Beijing has found on him through his son. This might explain is silence during the OC movement, that was highly unusual given his normally loud mouthed and abrasive public persona. Yeah he was on the net to voice his opinion, but that seem way too tame and quiet for him. But of course, as with things about Beijing, no one can be sure about this whole murky business.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 09-12-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Cho-man likes this.

SCMP

Pan-dems say they won't back down on political reform | South China Morning Post

All 27 pan-democratic lawmakers have said they would veto the proposal, and some reiterated that stance yesterday.
    Mefisto and Cho-man like this.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32