Like Tree62Likes

Hong Kong NOT the worlds safest city

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Fukushima and all that (if you are a hong konger of course...they are still all sooooo,scared, not kidding)

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    > Health security: Environment, air and water quality

If that's one of the four criteria, no way is Hong Kong going to make it onto the list.

On the other hand, NY never struck me as all that dangerous, and it's got great water and air.

No idea how they threw digital security into the criteria though. It's pretty independent of what city anyone lives in.
    Water quality? I don't recall locals in HK complaining about lack of access to safe drinking water.

Personal safety-wise, NY has improved a lot since the bad old days of the early 90s, but, no, still not safer than HK, as the earlier poster said.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 10-03-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Water quality? I don't recall locals in HK complaining about lack of access to safe drinking water.

Personal safety-wise, NY has improved a lot since the bad old days of the early 90s, but, no, still not safer than HK, as the earlier poster said.
    Have you read the article?

Safety is defined by 4 main categories, personal safety is only one of them, hence why NYC is in the list and not HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Have you read the article?

Safety is defined by 4 main categories, personal safety is only one of them, hence why NYC is in the list and not HK.

Yeah, but water quality? Its not really an issue in HK. More like a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    While I agree with this, perspective may vary between Expats living in HK Island and locals living in Tin Shui Wai. Or so my friends who live there tell me (and I do know girls who rather take a taxi home than walking 200m there at night).
    Hong Kong does have a significant level of crime - the level of violent crime against foreigners is luckily very very low, but I easily could come up with criteria that let HK fall behind at least the five cities mentioned above. And I'm not sure how much protection money is still paid in New York - a habit that here in Hong Kong is alive and kicking.
    We obviously have different friends in TSW ... I don't know anyone there (mostly church folks in public housing) who either takes taxis, or asks their daughters to, just because it's dark.

Although it's true it's a "bad" area by HK standards: none of my friends lets their kids walk to school alone until they're 8 years old

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    NY never struck me as all that dangerous, and it's got great water and air.

which part of NY?
    if the discussion is about Manhattan south of 125th street, maybe - *maybe* - you can start talking about NYC. But if you're including the South Bronx, if you're including the rougher parts of Brooklyn and Queens, all the public housing, etc., then No F*ck*ng Way.
    And I would tend not to even consider Manhattan as safe, for personal safety. You really have to watch what you say, how you act, where you walk. I feel like here in HK, if I wanted to get into a fist fight, I'd really have to try hard. Except maybe with drunk expats. But in NYC it seems like you're always a wrong step from having to throw down.

Granted, the air quality issue rightly hurts HK, and I suspect that payments to triads do as well. But the personal safety here is exceptional, in the way that it lets people do what they want to do and go where they want to go during such a large portion of the day. People in NYC just can't, and don't, act like that. They take regular steps to protect themselves that most HKers would never consider.
    Dankleness and hongkong7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Although it's true it's a "bad" area by HK standards: none of my friends lets their kids walk to school alone until they're 8 years old
    True, HK is very safe, but seems locals are terrified anyway. All those iron door and ironed windows.

Just to echo Chingleutsch sentiment, I doubt er2 has been to TSW.

ninja edit, I will add flameproof along with er2.

Last edited by Philip101; 11-03-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Incidentally, if you're talking about all of Hong Kong, I do have major safety concerns.
    Monkeys, stray dogs/off-leash village dogs, and snakes especially. And I'm not a big fan of all the cows I see on the trails.
    But needless to say, those tend to be issues in the less urban parts of HK.

chingleutsch likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Speaking from experience ? :-P

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast