Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG
  • 1 Post By methosb

Cathay pilot with knives?

Closed Thread

Cathay pilot with knives?

So a Hong Kong-bound Cathay flight gets delayed due to a member of the flight crew being found with knives. Not a lot of detail at the moment, which of course makes for a great opportunity for hours of fun with wild speculation.

Pilot arrested at Heathrow for possession of knives | UK news | The Guardian

why does wild speculation and aeroplanes go so well together?

Is it because it is one of the dullest forms of travel that needs to be made more interesting?

the image of flying for many

Or are the new outlets just living off many peoples irrational fear of flying?

Weird. More pilot mental breakdowns? Surely someone that familiar with airport security must have know that they couldn't get away with carrying knives in their carryon?

Dude could have just put a knife in with his lunch box and didn't think about it. Or had a pocket knife which some people carry and forgot to remove it from his bag. I doubt he would be released if they were knives.

My bro in law once went through a metal detector at an airport with bullets in his pocket which he forgot to remove after a hunting trip. Realised once he reached in his pocket to grab his wallet before he had to board and just went up to a security guy and handed them over.

bunnykinz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    why does wild speculation and aeroplanes go so well together?

Is it because it is one of the dullest forms of travel that needs to be made more interesting?

the image of flying for many

Or are the new outlets just living off many peoples irrational fear of flying?
    Sure sounds a lot more fun this way

Maybe his cockpit cohort has been acting strangely recently

Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 20-04-2015 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo
    shri likes this.

Maybe he enjoys cooking and just purchased some special chef knives

Haha, I once mailed a bullet to myself by mistake too... earned an urgent trip to the customs police. No accounting for absent-mindedness/stupidity!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

A 16-hour flight delay? I might have gotten a little bit stabby myself.

I once accidentally took a bullet through security. It was in my pocket along with my keys. I dumped everything from my pockets into the tray; the tray went through the x-ray machine; I picked everything up and carried on. Only when I got home and took out my keys did I notice the bullet. I'd just been taking part in a shooting competition in Canada, by the way. I don't normally carry ammo around. Of course, that was a long time ago. I also remember the day on a flight to Athens when my family was invited into the cockpit, mid-flight, to chat to the pilots. The pilot chatted to my dad and asked me to hold on tight to a particular control. I was pretty young, but not stupid and knew straight away that the thing was on autopilot and that the control was locked. And then there was the time at Geneva... We could go on all day with these stories.