Like Tree10Likes

High Profile Burglaries

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    An unarmed population that cannot adequately protect itself where home invasion/intruders apply and a sleepy keystone cop style of police force, just makes the Sai Kung district a burglars paradise. Police had reports of filipino boat boys/illegal workers on construction sites in the area, who were responsible for quite a few burgs, CCTV footage confirmed that on top of the usual mainland Chinese.

Proximity bias can be very strong at influencing your choices. A spate of break-in near a location can skew your thinking. Being broken into can be traumatic and more should probably be done to educate the population on what actually deterrents are the most effective. e.g. Dog vs CCTV - which statistically works better?

Hong Kong sits quite well down the league table of burglaries and also if you look at countries that think crime is getting worse the HK'rs think Hong Kong is not getting less safe no matter the scare stories.

Countries Compared by Crime > Believes crime increasing in the past 3 years. International Statistics at NationMaster.com
    Last edited by East_coast; 02-05-2015 at 07:48 PM.

I can't see HK on that graph, how does it compare?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I can't see HK on that graph, how does it compare?
    225 burglaries per 100,000

but it would be interesting to get a breakdown by property type.

- Village House
    - Villa
    - Walk-up
    - Condo / apartment block
    - Squatter hut

Trying to make any logical links in the chart. For example wealth of the country, culture, etc. Seems almost random. I wonder how much is due to crime reporting. For example in the UK, and I am sure many other countries, people report burglaries not so much in the hope of the criminal being caught but so that they can claim on their insurance. Had a friend in Moss Side, Manchester who was burgled. The police did not even go inside the property, just put a card through the door with the crime number on it so they could claim.

East_coast likes this.

Forgot about this thread... New World Development ex-boss robbed ... "“Some property was stolen,” a spokeswoman said" but enough to launch a manhunt of sorts.

House of Hong Kong’s third-richest man burgled, sparking police search of area | South China Morning Post