Like Tree67Likes

A new, independent English news source for Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith:
    Sure it's challenging, but I hope they are successful. Hard to say how things will develop, but I think currently there is greater demand for political coverage than in the past. The competition is also much weaker. A few years ago the SCMP was worth reading, that is less and less the case now.
    If there was a print edition of an English Language newspaper that was worth reading it would surely be very popular. The SCMP usually goes unread in most coffee shops.

Hopefully HKFP will use ads from a variety of sources such as and mix them up a little so it is not the same old same old like we get here on Geoexpat

- Google Banner Ads
    - BuySell Ads
    - publicityclerks
    - AsiaPac
    - Direct Ads

Also the mobile app is probably more important than the web page. Please keep it clean and free overly intrusive ads.

And don't forget full text RSS for us lagards...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Done. I await my free pen with baited breath.
    I see that we are 7 days away from launch but I have not yet received my free pen.
    I'm not impressed
    Lets hope the product impresses, the lack of my pen is very distressing and saddens me....
    Rob2020 likes this.

Hopefully HKFP will use ads from a variety of sources such as and mix them up a little so it is not the same old same old like we get here on Geoexpat

- Google Banner Ads
    - BuySell Ads
    - publicityclerks
    - AsiaPac
    - Direct Ads
    Banner ads have about 2 years of shelf life left in them. Trust me, those networks that you've mentioned deliver pennies on the CPMs... they're all arbitraging Google and a few other low value pools out there. Direct sales is the way to go, but there are some huge hurdles to overcome when getting advertisers to spend money with you ... vs say Google / Facebook.

I'm hoping that with the track we're on, banner ads will be phased out for us in 18-24 months.
    David Smith and East_coast like this.

@HowardCoombs Thank you Howard, delivery times are on FringeBacker - generally the end of August, as we were unable to order the correct number of merchandise items before the crowd-funding ended. Bear with us, they should be sent out in a fortnight! Website launch in noon next Mon.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Banner ads have about 2 years of shelf life left in them. Trust me, those networks that you've mentioned deliver pennies on the CPMs... they're all arbitraging Google and a few other low value pools out there. Direct sales is the way to go, but there are some huge hurdles to overcome when getting advertisers to spend money with you ... vs say Google / Facebook.

I'm hoping that with the track we're on, banner ads will be phased out for us in 18-24 months.
    banner ads will probably last longer than you think.

When publications reach a certain mass or want to pick the right adverts it makes sense do it yourself. No middleman taking their share.

When an advertising space is new or few readers then banner ads will still make sense.
    Last edited by East_coast; 23-06-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Yippie - I got me my free pen.

It aint MtBlonk mind you, but its a pretty nice pen in exchange for the piece of paper I parted with

shri and David Smith like this.

Tick Tock, apple just sped up the clock .. how many businesses want to stay around and count on banner ads to fund their champagne lifestyles?

Brilliant read:

The ad blocking controversy, explained - Vox

Tick Tock, apple just sped up the clock .. how many businesses want to stay around and count on banner ads to fund their champagne lifestyles?

Brilliant read:

The ad blocking controversy, explained - Vox
    Please correct me if I am wrong. Does Apple just follow other? From the article, it was not possible to add ad blocker for Safari on iOS before. But starting iOS 9 it can be done. But other OS, like Android and Windows that I use, already allow this for I do not know how many years ago. So, unless we assume the whole world is Apple then it is not really a big jump, is it?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8