15 7.21%
  • Same sex marriages should be possible in Hong Kong

105 50.48%
  • Does it matter?

20 9.62%
  • No, marriage is just for men and women

68 32.69%
Like Tree141Likes

Should Hong Kong recognise same sex marriage?

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Honeslty it depends.

Yes HK is supposed to be a Global City but honeslty it is in Aisa (not the most progressist societies) and right smack next to China. To top it of, I think in the mid/late nighties they were a lot more preoccuppied about the handover than about the gay and lesbian rights.

This is not an excuse and in my view homosexual mariages should be recognised asap but let's not forget also that HK has changed hands in between and that end of the day it is in Asia....a lot less open overall that many western societies.

I agree (and thank you for your thoughtful reply). And yet less than an hour's flight away, there is a thriving and open LGBT scene in Taiwan (at least that's what my friends living there say). We could get into a very long discussion of the various historical and cultural differences that might account for Taiwan's uniqueness in this area, but no one wants that.

It was East_Coast's use of the word "progressive" that bothered me. I know that HK is trying to progress in the social and political sense (as most places are), but for a city with its level of wealth and development, it is frustrating as hell that HK hasn't progressed any further. And I say this as someone who has mostly loved living here for the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Today is the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.

Many locals, overseas professionals, and domestic helpers are denied being recognised by the state as being a couple.
    Just curious- where on earth do you get this obscure stuff from?

Quote Originally Posted by megatronic:
    I agree (and thank you for your thoughtful reply). And yet less than an hour's flight away, there is a thriving and open LGBT scene in Taiwan (at least that's what my friends living there say). We could get into a very long discussion of the various historical and cultural differences that might account for Taiwan's uniqueness in this area, but no one wants that.

It was East_Coast's use of the word "progressive" that bothered me. I know that HK is trying to progress in the social and political sense (as most places are), but for a city with its level of wealth and development, it is frustrating as hell that HK hasn't progressed any further. And I say this as someone who has mostly loved living here for the past decade.
    Agreed..taipei is way ahead on that!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Newspapers

Didn't Hong Kong first start to discuss decriminalisation in 1980 (about the same time as Scotland) but took a very long time to change law due to legislators being tied up with constitutional issues.

The court cases a few years ago were probably just tidying up laws that were anomalies. The state probably wasn't anti-gay just bad a writing comprehensive laws.

Taiwan has certainly normalised faster Hong Kong but Hong Kong is still better than most Asian countries but the current government has constitutional issues to push through LegCo which are obviously more important than making society better.

Quote Originally Posted by megatronic:

HK hasn't progressed in areas like gay acceptance and race tolerance due to the steady flow of migrants from Mainland China. For every step forward here, there is a step backwards.

Prior to the ban on mainland mothers giving birth in Hong Kong (2013), about half of all births in Hong Kong were from mainlanders (who all get citizenship). I have heard that 1/3 of all Hong Kong residents were born in the mainland...and I am guessing many more were raised by parents who grew up in the mainland. I'm guessing without all the immigration and influence from China, Hong Kong would be far more progressive.

Hong Kong, although a world city, is (sadly) very strongly influenced by mainland ideals. Places like Taiwan can evolve quicker because they aren't allowing a steady stream of immigrants who have different values into the country.
    East_coast likes this.

Just looked up the list of UN "international day of..."

If any a list was so obviously drawn up by committee, it is this.

23 March
    World Meteorological Day [WMO] WMO/EC-XII/Res.6

24 March
    International Day for the Right to the Truth concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims (A/RES/65/196)

25 March
    International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade (A/RES/62/122)

International Days | United Nations
    East_coast likes this.

Just looked up the list of UN "international day of..."
    The UN doesn't monopolise liberal 'days'

International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by East_coast; 19-05-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Interestingly 5 people have voted against gay marriage in Hong Kong but are perhaps a little nervous to add a few comments for the fear of getting mauled by the Liberal majority.

Paxbritannia likes this.

My guess is that the vast majority of HKers would not approve of gay marriage if put to a closed door ballot. With China's one child policy and Hong Kong's astonishingly low birth rate....I think there is extra pressure here to reproduce and "carry on" the family genes so to speak. I don't think the locals are homophobic, but the thought of their only child being "gay" would not appeal to most.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast