Like Tree90Likes

10 laws that are broken in Hong Kong every day

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

10 laws that are broken in Hong Kong every day

10 laws that are broken in Hong Kong every day | South China Morning Post

I have to say a lot of why these so called laws are broken half the time is that a lot of them are just half arsed laws in the first place and no-one can be bothered to enforce them and when they do its half arsed anyway.
    Last edited by pin; 19-05-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    East_coast and bookblogger like this.

Some of us don't have a subscription to SCMP and have used up our free articles for now... care to post what the 10 things are?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Some of us don't have a subscription to SCMP and have used up our free articles for now... care to post what the 10 things are?
    Just use your privacy mode on your browser.
    Elegiaque and juanalias like this.

Underage drinking
    Lan Kwai Fong seems to be a hotbed of petty crime late at night. Besides those crooked taxi drivers, there are young delinquents - glassy-eyed teenagers stumbling around or passed out after a lengthy drinking session. One club owner admits to spending more than HK$1 million a year on security to keep young law-breakers out of his bars.
    Even worse than this is the open drug peddling that goes on in some parts of town ... There was a strongly worded letter in the SCMP about this, but I assume the cops cannot be bothered because it is a gwailo problem (LKF 7-11 / African-ish drug dealers )
    East_coast and Rob2020 like this.

One that probably should be on the list is solicitation for sex.

It is quite sad to see the male member of a group of tourists get pestered for sex whilst strolling along the night market. It used to be in the shadows and now these self employed workers see no harm in soliciting on public streets as the police turn a blind eye in certain districts.

Here are 10 examples of laws broken every day in the city.

Illegal parking
    Jaywalking and other pedestrian infractions
    Taxi refusing hire
    Litter on Shek-O main beach.Littering
    Drivers can only allow their engines to idle for three minutes.Idling engines
    Smoking in public places
    Feeding wild monkeys
    Unauthorised building works
    Illegally dumped waste in Nam Sang Wai.Illegal dumping
    Underage drinking

Elegiaque likes this.

I would add

1. Soliciting in public area for sex
    2. Selling drugs in clubs
    3. Spitting at tourist hotspots
    4. Smoking in public places
    5. Hawking of the latest Iphone outside fruit shops
    6. Children without seatbelts in cars
    7. Domestic Helper not having required rest and space
    Last edited by East_coast; 19-05-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    Natfixit and slyfox121081 like this.

Not to forget white collar crime.... insider dealing, tax dodging, bribery (Raphael Hui style).. list could go on.

Argh!!! So many of them have to do with the environment! Terrible... The littering and car idling really pisses me off. The country parks make NO EFFORT to inform or remind people to not litter or even that there ARE fines for littering. This seriously needs to change.

And the car idling... I'm quite sure if you were to randomly ask drivers what the biggest concern is in HK it would be a. rent, b. pollution..... !!! Bus drivers, too, seem oblivious to the fact that their idling bus is creating a cloud of pollution. And I don't have any scientific backing for this, but in a way I feel the rich in HK are responsible for this issue, as they often have their drivers just parked idling around town waiting to be called to pick them up. Saw this just last night along Bridges St.

I really wish they would start to strictly fine people for this. Can citizens be volunteer police and target idling cars/buses?

Last edited by Elegiaque; 19-05-2015 at 10:32 AM.

One law they need to pass - pedestrians should have right of way especially when crossing private driveways whilst walking on a public street (eg along Queens Rd in front of Cheung Kong driveway). Pedestrians should have the right of way anyways, but lets start small. Another law they should pass - double line the entire Queens Rd Central all the way to Landmark on both sides of the street. if buildings want cars to be able to stop in front of them then they need to cut into their space like what Mandarin Hotel has done.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast