• 1 Post By Seagulls!

Domestic Helpers - A different view

Closed Thread

Domestic Helpers - A different view

Dreams From My Helper: Part One | Michelle Toh

Dreams From My Helper: Part Two | Michelle Toh

Dreams From My Helper: Part Three | Michelle Toh

Dreams From My Helper: Part Four | Michelle Toh

Not sure if that has been ciruclated on here.

A view from a grown up kid (different somehow from what we keep reading usually)

Really sweet.

Mat likes this.

I shed a tear.

Mat and Enderman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    I shed a tear.
    Me too...bloody hell.
    threelittlepigs likes this.

It is the last few lines that get you and she is one of the lucky ones with good employers. It always amazes me how helpers can find so much to be very happy about when life sucks so much for so many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    It is the last few lines that get you and she is one of the lucky ones with good employers. It always amazes me how helpers can find so much to be very happy about when life sucks so much for so many of them.
    Not just helpers. Many (poor) people get happiness in the little things in life.
    Sadly to a certain extend more developped countries seem to have forgotten that.
    heather11, hullexile, shri and 1 others like this.

While on the subject of PH, anyone has seen that TV program. Watched it recently and quite something.

Meet my new friend, Jungle Neil - Telegraph

LONDON, May 26 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A Filipina maid in Hong Kong has published stark photographs of burned and beaten domestic workers to highlight the "modern slavery" she says has long been the city's shameful secret.

"Hong Kong is a very modern, successful city but people treat their helpers like slaves," said Xyza Cruz Bacani, whose black and white portraits won her a scholarship from the Magnum Foundation to start studying at New York University this month.

The abuse happens behind doors. It's common but no one talks about it, so I want to tell their stories, I want to tell people it's not OK to treat your domestic workers that way

Filipina maid photographs modern slavery in Hong Kong | Reuters

"Awareness brings change," she says. "I hope my work can change people's perspective on domestic workers and help end this modern slavery."

A very wise and courageous girl!!!

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    While on the subject of PH, anyone has seen that TV program. Watched it recently and quite something.

Meet my new friend, Jungle Neil - Telegraph
    Funnily enough, one of my friends is in the new series, but I've yet to see any of the episodes.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    LONDON, May 26 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A Filipina maid in Hong Kong has published stark photographs of burned and beaten domestic workers to highlight the "modern slavery" she says has long been the city's shameful secret.

"Hong Kong is a very modern, successful city but people treat their helpers like slaves," said Xyza Cruz Bacani, whose black and white portraits won her a scholarship from the Magnum Foundation to start studying at New York University this month.

The abuse happens behind doors. It's common but no one talks about it, so I want to tell their stories, I want to tell people it's not OK to treat your domestic workers that way

Filipina maid photographs modern slavery in Hong Kong | Reuters

"Awareness brings change," she says. "I hope my work can change people's perspective on domestic workers and help end this modern slavery."

A very wise and courageous girl!!!
    Saw that one too and kudos to her to bring to light in this way some of the issues many helpers face.

That said this is more 'inline' with what is usually discussed here.

What i found interesting in the one i posted was the point of view of a kid who grew up with a helper. Something we seldom hear.
    Last edited by Mat; 28-05-2015 at 06:47 PM.