Like Tree12Likes

Luisa Lai filipina helper aids story almost ignored in English language media

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am not a journalist, but I do research and write for a living. That bit of writing is really dodgy.

Two teenage boys in Hong Kong are believed to have contracted AIDS from a family domestic helper, according to an article written by television artist Lai Chi-san (Maria Luisa Leitao) this week.
    That is a pretty good example of weasel words. If I submitted something like that, my boss would send it right back with that part circled in red. "Are believed?" Believed by whom? On what evidence?

黎芷珊 is just a unpopular and crappy artists, why so serious

She just spreading some rumors to get some attention from the media , some reporters had checked information from the Department of Health and found that she is bxllsxiting

<span style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px;">

Wow, out of all the FDH "stories" that the media down plays or ignores this is one of the least significant. From the sounds of it, she is just an ignorant and gullible celebrity. I have heard of employers in Hong Kong making FDHers get HIV tested due to paranoia and fear....

If you want to complain about a lack of media coverage for FDH abuse... go no further than the alarming percentage of helpers abused, underpaid, underfed and not given days off. Now that not covered enough for a supposedly free and unbiased press.

Depends what we consider to be the 'story' here.

It's about how smear campaigns get spread and public opinion gets manipulated. It about how people like Lai can make allegations on a public forum that she heard from a friend who heard it from a friend and insist no further evidence is needed because she believes it to be true.

It's also about the large number of Hong Kongers who criticized her. Good for them.

Don't agree.

I believe the differences between what gets counted as news in the media serving the two distinct linguistic communities is significant.