Like Tree37Likes

Rotten Chinese meat brought into / transported through Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    The article says some smuggled meat was brought into HK, unclear if it's the rotten meat or just other contraband meat.
    All it says is "cheap meat". Rotten or contraband is purely a figment of your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    All it says is "cheap meat". Rotten or contraband is purely a figment of your imagination.
    When the term "smuggled" is used, how is contraband an inappropriate description? Sorry I'm not sure what your issue is. I never claimed anyone in HK ate 40 year old meat, just pointing out the story which I found gross and has an HK connection.

I dont even touch meat that is over 30

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Proplus, East_coast and gunsnroses like this.

This is why the shiu mai in HK tastes so flippin' good!

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    When the term "smuggled" is used, how is contraband an inappropriate description?
    The quote is "shipped it to Hong Kong" - there is no reason to think it was smuggled into Hong Kong nor is there any suggestion that it was brought here illegally. Again, you are making things up.
    Sorry I'm not sure what your issue is.
    My issue is that you are twisting and completely misrepresenting the story. It started with the title you picked "Rotten Chinese meat brought into Hong Kong"
    There is no evidence whatsoever that the meat was Chinese nor it was rotten while it transited thru Hong Kong.
    I never claimed anyone in HK ate 40 year old meat, just pointing out the story which I found gross and has an HK connection.
    You took a story and twisted it to a point where it became completely misleading.

And then you said "why I only buy meat imported from countries with food safety standards" -- I'd hazard a guess that the meat in question came from a country with food safety standards.
    East_coast likes this.

Howard I think you need a drink or something...chill out man! I'm sure the Guardian journalist's email is on the article if you'd like to take it up with them.

The rest of us will joke about "aged steaks"

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You cannot abandon a deep freeze. Deep freezes cost a fortune to run. Switch if off and the meat rots in days. Paying electricity for 40 years would cost far more than the value of the meat. It may be meat we are talking about but there is something very fishy about this story.
    If the meat did originate from China and it is that old it would have been in a government ever-normal storage facility.

It would be great to know the location as a place that has had no brown-outs in the last 40 years must be a very special location and every cold storage company should move there now.

Eating any kind of meat is

Here's the original article from China Daily

14 gangs busted for smuggling frozen meat - China - Chinadaily.com.cn

When smuggled meat is moved under poor conditions or repeatedly thawed-or even refrozen after the meat has already gone bad-the threat it poses will be especially serious.Changsha customs said that high profits have already spurred the creation of an extensive supply chain.
    Smugglers generally purchase meat for very low prices from foreign countries, and then have it delivered to Hong Kong in refrigerated containers.
    The products will then be moved to the mainland via Vietnam, with smugglers hiring residents of border areas to move the products to Chinese border cities and then on to Changsha before the products are transported to sites around the country.
    Cho-man likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Chinese government pledges to step up crackdown on selling fake goods online | South China Morning Post

The food and medical industry must be very clean as the CCP has turned its powers to now contain the rampant fake and probably harmless consumer goods.

Saying that the meat had probably gone through numerous thaw/freeze cycles and should be very mature.
    Cho-man likes this.