Like Tree37Likes

Rotten Chinese meat brought into / transported through Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Rotten Chinese meat brought into / transported through Hong Kong

AKA why I only buy meat imported from countries with food safety standards...

Forty-year-old meat seized as China breaks up smuggling gangs – reports | World news | The Guardian

Almost half a billion dollars worth of smuggled frozen meat – some of it rotting and more than 40 years old – has been seized in China, official media have reported.
    More than 100,000 tonnes of chicken wings, beef and pork worth up to 3bn yuan ($483m) were seized in the nationwide crackdown, the state-run China Daily newspaper said.

[...]

China Daily said smugglers bought cheap meat abroad, shipped it to Hong Kong and on to Vietnam before bringing it to the mainland.
    Any reports of this from HK media?

How can meat be 40 years old?

I assume someone finds it in some abandoned deep freeze, mislabels it and sells it to make money. Pretty disgusting to sell rotten ancient meat that could possibly kill people just for a buck.

Officials from Guangxi, a southern region bordering Vietnam, found some of the meat was “more than 40 years old”, the newspaper said.
    That would mean it was packed and stored when the country still under the rule of Communist China’s founding father, Mao Zedong, who died in 1976.

I tried not to eat processed and packaged foods, and focus more on lean meats, eggs, proteins, fruits and veggies. But when I'm in China, I eat imported stuff out of a box. A can of pringles in China might be healthier than veggies and eggs....

anything to increase weight and yield in China meat and ag...here is a common practice of injecting meat with pond water to increase weight.

Chinese police raid filthy sheep factory where butchers 'injected polluted pond water into carcasses to increase weight' | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by Open Casket; 24-06-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Officials from Guangxi, a southern region bordering Vietnam, found some of the meat was “more than 40 years old”, the newspaper said.
    That would mean it was packed and stored when the country still under the rule of Communist China’s founding father, Mao Zedong, who died in 1976.

I tried not to eat processed and packaged foods, and focus more on lean meats, eggs, proteins, fruits and veggies. But when I'm in China, I eat imported stuff out of a box. A can of pringles in China might be healthier than veggies and eggs....

anything to increase weight and yield in China meat and ag...here is a common practice of injecting meat with pond water to increase weight.

Chinese police raid filthy sheep factory where butchers 'injected polluted pond water into carcasses to increase weight' | Daily Mail Online
    Dont want to bust ur bubble but the water adding to meat is common practice pretty much everywhere. In Netherlands u would to go an eco butcher to get the pure stuff.
    Don't think just because it's western the food safety is immediately good. People will try to make a quick buck anywhere.
    40y old meat is disgusting tho.
    Salmon-scandal hit Foppen to start publishing food safety authority reports on website | Undercurrent News
    East_coast and jimbo like this.

I like a nice piece of 40 day aged beef, but 40 years is taking it all a bit far.

WMDS likes this.

If there is a demand for cheap food, then this is what happens.

I think, particularly with meat, you should pay as much as you can for it, not only to minimise the sadistic treatment meted out to the animal during its lifetime, but also to ensure better quality food for yourself. Sadly most people don't care about either issue as long as they can buy food cheaply.

jgl, Cwbguy, Dreadnought and 1 others like this.

There is nothing in the article to suggest that rotten meat was brought into Hong Kong let alone sold here.

HK_Katherine likes this.

The article says some smuggled meat was brought into HK, unclear if it's the rotten meat or just other contraband meat.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    some abandoned deep freeze, .
    You cannot abandon a deep freeze. Deep freezes cost a fortune to run. Switch if off and the meat rots in days. Paying electricity for 40 years would cost far more than the value of the meat. It may be meat we are talking about but there is something very fishy about this story.
    dumbdonkey likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast