Like Tree41Likes

Jasper Tsang secretly recorded telling racist joke about Africans

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    Bigger cocks, better dancers, better at basketball, etc...

Years ago I read a book that was called 'aboriginal cognition' which had been written shortly after the end of 'the stolen generation' episode...it was highly critical of standard I.Q. tests being used on aboriginal people in Australia...unsurprisingly, aboriginal people fared poorly in I.Q. tests that were designed for educated westerners.

I can't remember who the author(s) were...some researchers from the Australian Institute for Aboriginal Studies...they devised I.Q. tests that they felt might reflect the cognitive abilities of aboriginal people more accurately. They found that, for example, aboriginal people were much better than whites at spatial awareness problems..interestingly, this was true even in those aboriginal people who had always lived in cities suggesting an innate intelligence...

Anyway, the book was a bit old fashioned, circa 1970s...but it managed to discuss the issue in a very respectful and honest way, I felt.
    It reminds me of a chat I had with a very despondent primary school teacher from a extremely rural community. Her children had just sat a standardised test and not faired so well. About 70% of the questions related to urban living e.g. Questions about catching buses, parks, leisure centres, supermarkets. Her kids had never interacted with any of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    Tsang Yok-sing

I wonder whether other people are disappointed in him, as I am. Despite his communism, he has always seemed to me to be a cultured, gentlemanly person, and he was once - a great distinction!
    Very disappointed. He has been a very good LegCo president and seems above the vitriol that that comes from both sides. I doubt there is a better person for the job at the moment and no doubt the pressure was immense in the run up to the vote. BUT should the person come before the good of the system because there is no one better.

My heart feels he should stay but my head thinks he should go.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    People of East African descent and specifically a region in Kenya and parts of Ethiopia are better at long distance running. There are many reasons for this including environment and culture (e.g. One ethnic group that has produced many Olympians has a puberty ritual that includes running barefoot long distances through mountains). It's not simply "One race is smart, one race is good at running, etc." The fact that you generalized to say Africans vs. white people shows the problem with trying to draw this conclusions in flippant comments such as those made by Watson. You can't generalize something that is so complex.
    If I were writing a long academic paper on the subject I would obviously not generalise but point out that there are many sub-sets of race and the characteristics that go with it, some of which may be genetic and some of which may be due to environment and culture. On the other hand, a one paragraph post on a forum requires some generalisation to make a point. You can chose to read it like that or not, your choice. This is the main problem - people making short-hand comments, posts or jokes that are then taking as "the whole of their views" on the subject - when they are not. They are short-hand comments, posts or jokes that make attempt to make a small point or generalise for an audience or whatever and social media and over jealous PC-types blow them out of all proportion. We could try understanding what people say rather than just tweeting it.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    with no demonstrable genetic basis .
    There is only no demonstrable genetic basis if your genetic analysis is not equipped to find it. It's only been relatively recently, with the sequencing of the whole human genome, that we have even had a shot at finding differences. And with the reactions seen in the various posts on this forum, I suspect it will be a brave researcher who goes looking for them..... After all, the difference between humans and chimpanzees is only about 4% of the genome - looking for inter-human race or sub-race differences might be much harder to identify particularly as the nice bell shapes Easty posted highlight that you need to sample whole populations to find statistical variations, individuals can easily fall outside the middle of the range and into "another" bell.

Really, just watched the TVB news, where they reported that Jasper had said potentially racist comments about 'foreign visitors' in Chungking mansions'. Apparently he denied being racist towards ' foreign travellers'. I didn't notice the word 'African' once.

This is the state of reporting nowadays.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    Really, just watched the TVB news, where they reported that Jasper had said potentially racist comments about 'foreign visitors' in Chungking mansions'. Apparently he denied being racist towards ' foreign travellers'. I didn't notice the word 'African' once.

This is the state of reporting nowadays.
    Here is his statement in a video.

RTHK English News

His 'apology' is not of an apology - "if anyone was offended I am willing to apologise..." or words to that effect.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4