Like Tree12Likes

CY Leung's focus on livelihood issues

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome:
    do u mean the time when the elite was all white and the rest were known as coolies?
    no, I was thinking more along the lines of when Hong Kong had a free press that wasn't under the thump of the CCP, and when Hong Kong had a truly independent judiciary. A time when politics in Beijing didn't influence top level university decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    no, I was thinking more along the lines of when Hong Kong had a free press that wasn't under the thump of the CCP, and when Hong Kong had a truly independent judiciary. A time when politics in Beijing didn't influence top level university decisions.
    and indeed a mailbox represents all these issues you described.
    The colonial mailbox, last bastion of freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    I don't think anyone can justify British colonialism in the strict sense. And while British rule over HK was relatively benign (compared to other colonies), it still had its dark and ugly side. But I suppose one thing the British did get right was endowing HKers with notions of civil liberties. Looking back, its ironic how the British never granted HK democracy, but did leave a legacy where at least some of HK citizens hold democratic ideals as the virtues to aim for.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome:
    and indeed a mailbox represents all these issues you described.
    The colonial mailbox, last bastion of freedom!
    I wonder how long before we have protesters chaining themselves to the postboxes?

Maybe they could bring their oversized musical instruments and yellow umbrellas, so they could maximize their time protesting!
    TheBrit likes this.