Like Tree68Likes

Tragic story, so please encourage organ donations in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Just registered, informed my husband and posted the link on my Facebook page. I have a lot of local friends. Even influencing one of them would be a start.

I've had the box ticked on my UK driving licence for like, 30 years, but I doubt that carries much weight here!

Cho-man and kpelszyn like this.

This video explains the facts of the organ donation situation in HK quite well, I encourage all of you who have to time to watch it, its only a little over 2 minutes long, so hopefully you can squeeze in the time to take a look:

I think they should keep a record of people who agree to donate organs. Those people who agree to donate (prior to any diagnosis) should get priority on the list. Say at age 18 you have to declare if you want to be a donor. If you say No, then you only get an organ donation after all those who said Yes get theirs first.

this seems only fair, and would encourage people to be donors.

Rob2020, jrkob, Cho-man and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    I think they should keep a record of people who agree to donate organs. Those people who agree to donate (prior to any diagnosis) should get priority on the list. Say at age 18 you have to declare if you want to be a donor. If you say No, then you only get an organ donation after all those who said Yes get theirs first.

this seems only fair, and would encourage people to be donors.
    Good points and an appropriate user name!

Need an organ? You're a donor, right this way sir.
    Oh, you're not a donor? Can I interest you in a mint?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Good points and an appropriate user name!

Need an organ? You're a donor, right this way sir.
    Oh, you're not a donor? Can I interest you in a mint?

Yep, I won't go as far as to say organ donation should be mandatory, but if you're not willing to part with your organs after death, I see no reason why you should benefit from someone elses. It should be a pact in which you can opt in or opt out.
    Last edited by Open Casket; 08-10-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    HK_Katherine, alph and kpelszyn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Yep, I won't go as far as to say organ donation should be mandatory, but if you're not willing to part with your organs after death, I see no reason why you should benefit from someone elses. It should be a pact in which you can opt in or opt out.
    If I am not mistaken, in Singapore, they have a law that says unless you specify otherwise, upon your death, your organs can and will be used to save others in need of it.

Don't know how such a law will go down in HK however.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    If I am not mistaken, in Singapore, they have a law that says unless you specify otherwise, upon your death, your organs can and will be used to save others in need of it.

Exactly, an opt-out system is much better.

See: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Organ_do...l_perspectives

For example, Germany, which uses an opt-in system, has an organ donation consent rate of 12% among its population, while Austria, a country with a very similar culture and economic development, but which uses an opt-out system, has a consent rate of 99.98%
    Cho-man, wtbhotia and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:

It's a hottly debated topic. I think we did this one on Geo a few years ago....if my memory serves me, east coast thinks that once you die, your body should go to the state and they should be able to do what they want with it.

Original Post Deleted
    email from Q M on donation of body:
    "Regarding to your concern, in case your family would not agree to donate your body at the end, honestly, we could not do anything coz your next-to-kin always have the absolute right authorized by HK law.
    If you worry, I would suggest you can set up your after-death planning through St. James’ Settlement or you can put your wish in your legal will."
    shri likes this.

No more "tragic" than any other transplant patient who dies on the waiting list. What's so special about her compared to everyone else?

Number of organ/tissue donation & patient waiting for transplantation under
    Hong Kong Hospital Authority (1.1.2004 - 31.12.2014)

Organ/Tissue 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 No. of patient waiting
    for transplantation
    (as at 31.12.2014)
    Kidney donation
    Deceased donor
    Live donor
    Liver donation
    Deceased donor
    Live donor
    Heart donation 7 8 7 5 6 10 13 9 17 11 9 28
    Double Lung donation
    Single Lung donation
    Cornea donation
    (piece)
    230 214 244 198 211 203 250 238 259 248 337 465
    Skin donation 30 13 8 13 19 17 23 21 6 4 9 Uncertain
    Bone donation 4 3 3 1 1 0 6 0 3 3 1 Uncertain

Do any of those patients get media attention? No. The media is really enjoying the "Let's imply that all HKers are cold-hearted callous people who refused to save a young girl's life" game when as someone who needed a double lung transplant the only way she could have received a transplant would have been if someone with COMPATIBLE lungs etc. had died. Are we selfish and flippant just because no-one decided to die for her?

BTW I am a registered organ donor, but no one has first dibs on my organs. It doesn't work that way.

Au said two people, however, had offered to donate half of their lungs.
    QMH did not take up their offers, as the methods for transporting lungs from living donors are not at an advanced level in Hong Kong, he said.

You have to wait for someone with compatible organs to die. They don't come from organ fairy godmothers waiting with a wand in the wings. Transplant patients are (crudely) waiting for someone suitable TO DIE.STOP LIVING. Then there's a short window to obtain the required organs.

They're aka as cadaver donors for the simple reason that the people whose organs are being transplanted into the recipients' bodies ARE DEAD.

Cadaver= dead body/corpse

Someone didn't die in time for her to live. Waiting for a transplant usually is a euphemistic way of saying waiting for someone suitable to be die.
    Last edited by shri; 09-10-2015 at 08:39 AM.
    shri and si0001 like this.