Like Tree21Likes

Ken Tsang Beating Case - Trial and Comments

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain
    It should be a Judge's dream case. Clear video evidence, plenty of witnesses, victim had to be hospitalized. Yet, in HK it takes half a year to assess the situation and then make it more complicated than it really is. Such a clear cut case should waste no more taxpayer's time and money than 1 day before the court or 7 days max in total for each of the seven thugs.
    Afraid I have to repeat myself, its politics.
    Cho-man likes this.

in case anyone has forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Afraid I have to repeat myself, its politics.
    Rimsky, who arguable is more knowledgable about the reasons for the delay:

Yuen insisted that there were "absolutely no political considerations being taken into account when making decisions in relation to the seven police officers".
    Cho-man likes this.

Its on the bloody video - those guys should get sentenced and then canned so they aren't part of the police force anymore; take whatever reduced pension / payout; and go do something else.

Last edited by chichow; 14-10-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka
    Rimsky, who arguable is more knowledgable about the reasons for the delay:

Rimsky's quote is about as credible as the Fox New's claim that they are "fair and balanced".

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain
    It should be a Judge's dream case. Clear video evidence, plenty of witnesses, victim had to be hospitalized. Yet, in HK it takes half a year to assess the situation and then make it more complicated than it really is. Such a clear cut case should waste no more taxpayer's time and money than 1 day before the court or 7 days max in total, that is 1 day or each of the seven thugs.
    http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2015/10/...-jail-sentence
    It took 8 months for this simple case of women hitting a MTR staff with her handbag (Assault Charge), so for the Police assualt case, expect a few years and a few million of HK Tax payers money down the drain, those Police will still get a monthly salary I assume so even more money wasted.

I imagine CY and co are kicking it as far into the future as possible so they may not have to be around to deal with it.

Cho-man likes this.

There were a number of QCs involved in the Rafael Hui case.
    David Perry QC, Clare Montgomery QC for example, both are involved in a large number of cases in HK, on a regular basis.
    @Cho-man, aren't these 2 counsels locals ? Did they just retain their QC title just as a "tradition" even if HK is no longer a colony ? Or are they considered foreign QCs ?

Result

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    There were a number of QCs involved in the Rafael Hui case.
    David Perry QC, Clare Montgomery QC for example, both are involved in a large number of cases in HK, on a regular basis.
    @Cho-man, aren't these 2 counsels locals ? Did they just retain their QC title just as a "tradition" even if HK is no longer a colony ? Or are they considered foreign QCs ?

Result
    Well if they retain their legal license in their respective home countries (i.e. for QCs-that usually covers UK, Canada, Australia or New Zealand and perhaps a few other places), they can retain their QC title. (For jurisdictions with a split legal profession, i.e. those with barristers and solicitors, only barristers can become QC. Most barristers do not have the QC title (or "silk" as they are sometimes called), only those held in high regard for their legal expertise can be nominated to become a QC, this is called "taking silk").

If they can only practice in HK (i.e. only have a license in HK), then an experienced counsel would be termed SC (senior counsel), not QC.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 14-10-2015 at 06:05 PM.
    shri likes this.

Got it, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
    Looks like David Perry has been registered with the bar in the UK for a good 35 years.

Last edited by jrkob; 14-10-2015 at 05:51 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast