Like Tree65Likes

UK welcomes Xi Jinping

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cykgary:
    This image is from last year and is in Hong Kong. The thread is about the events in the UK this week.

Apparently the speaker of the House of Commons heckled him during his speech and Jeremy Corbyn had a few words about human rights to him. Water off a duck's back though I am sure.

As others have said, money talks.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I don't know how many times I would have to read the stories, the history textbooks, the news articles, until I could really understand the political history and situation in Hong Kong.... But... how... could... the UK... do this!? Just ignore the situation they've created and leave things up in the air for others to resolve (or simply try to resolve).

Good question, but however much you read the answer will stay the same. On one hand ... but on the other ... While Hong Kong was ... the United Kingdom was also ... There was always an irreconcilable ... European Community ... China ...and attempts to ... would be blocked by ...

Be careful, or you will fall into a vat of lukewarm congee in which you will drown, crying, "Textile quotas! British National Overseas! Joint Declaration! Patten! Help!"
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    But... how... could... the UK... do this!?
    It's hardly surprising. Handing Hong Kong back in the first place was all about keeping trade channels with China open. I would like to see a worldwide embargo on trade with China until it stops persecuting dissidents etc but that's clearly not going to happen.
    Cho-man, Gatts and tinlissie like this.

I would love to criticise the UK government but I feel that if I were being honest, ultimately my own job as an expat is paid for by trade with the PRC.

hullexile likes this.

The U.K.'s desperation to attract Chinese money only highlights it's economic vulnerability. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Sad to see really...

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    The U.K.'s desperation to attract Chinese money only highlights it's economic vulnerability. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Sad to see really...
    He just finished a visit to the US as well, luckily he did not get caught up in a mass shooting
    bookblogger and TheBrit like this.

70% of state visits to the US end in failure.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    However, all other state visits across the globe have a failure rate somewhere between 10-40%
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    That's about the same percentage of Continental Europe, that dislikes the English.

What a coincidence
    Last edited by Skyhook; 22-10-2015 at 08:22 AM.
    Open Casket and Cho-man like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast