Like Tree68Likes

Phone / Online Romance Scams in HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You clearly don't work. Normal human beings have to take calls from potential clients who they have never met before and thus by definition whose number they do not know.
    I do work, although very much part time these days as I slowly wind my career down. It hasn't been a problem for me, possibly because new clients will call my office number rather than my mobile (which they won't have) and time wasters dealing random numbers in search of a sucker get filtered out by our receptionist or my secretary.
    shri and lovehunter like this.

But even a real romance can end terrible costly. So either way should be avoided. Get a dog.

UK/HKboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:
    Do you mean money laundered back to mainland ? Or they are taking money back what they were overcharged in various sale transactions in HK ?
    I have no clue. But I am a cynic and wonder how people who have managed to accumulate, inherit or been gifted such large amounts are so willing to give them away without a second thought.

It is non-trivial to open an account and fund it with HKD 3.5M without appropriate KYC/AML checks or "wink wink" compliance by bank staff. HKMA needs to review the procedures followed by some of these banks to see if correct processes were followed.

I come from a culture where bank staff and authorities are known to turn a blind eye for some benefits - which always makes me suspicious when I hear of such large amounts being "laundered" through the system.
    Last edited by shri; 11-05-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    drumbrake and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You clearly don't work. Normal human beings have to take calls from potential clients who they have never met before and thus by definition whose number they do not know.
    Even if you do take calls, ask the person for an email address or give them your email address and have them follow up.

"I'm really sorry, but can you give me your email address or email me and I'll follow up with you in 15-20 mins when I'm back in the office" works without fail with any legit phone calls I get.

how come those random kids and grannies etc have so many millions in their bank account

hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    But even a real romance can end terrible costly. So either way should be avoided. Get a dog.
    Sometimes the cost is worth it (he says while draining his bank account for another month's worth of school fees and cat food).
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkemail888:
    how come those random kids and grannies etc have so many millions in their bank account
    Pretty sure most of it is "dodgy/corruption" money. That also explains why they are so scared of these calls and try to comply with the so called "authorities" on the phone to "prove" they are innocent.
    shri, Hkemail888, hannah01 and 1 others like this.

I often wonder after how much, i would start getting suspicious, if someone asked to lend or give them money.

Even if it was family or friends, I'd need a pretty good reason for HK$500. For over HK$ 1,000 I would ask a few more questions to get more details and make sure they weren't lying. $10,000 would be maximum for my mum and then I would need all kinds of proof of invoices and quotes etc that she was gonna spend it on what she claims.

How do people pay $100k, then a few million to strangers who call up without even checking?!

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Why anyone takes a phone call from a number which is not in their contact list is utterly beyond me – they're almost all either wrong numbers, robocalls or spam marketing.
    Damn right. That's what I do. Never ever pick up a call from a number that's not in my list. If I've really committed a crime, I will have (possessed) the knowledge too, that no police officer will personally call you, let alone threaten you to transfer million dollars. Of (scammed) romance, I don't believe in an online lover, that too who asks a girlfriend to lend him that much bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Do you guys really really believe that a 19 year old opened a new account at a local bank and was able to transfer 3.5M into it, without anyone blinking an eye?
    I really think banks dont give two shits as long as you open a bank account with lots of money and 3.5M is still a lot of money.