Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By flameproof
  • 2 Post By East_coast

Tammy Tam @ SCMP

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    24,147

    Tammy Tam @ SCMP

    Is she a native English speaker or was that an optional qualification when the job search committee met?

    Her columns are just too hard to read ... no rhythm or natural flow.

    It was noted later that this quote was left out of the Xinhua report, causing some to guess that Beijing was trying not to give people the impression that asking Leung "to continue" to work hard was equal to showing support for him to seek a second term as the city's leader.

    Beijing's comments, soccer and Hong Kong Chief Secretary Carrie Lam's attitude | South China Morning Post
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Is she a native English speaker or was that an optional qualification when the job search committee met?

    Her columns are just too hard to read ... no rhythm or natural flow.




    Beijing's comments, soccer and Hong Kong Chief Secretary Carrie Lam's attitude | South China Morning Post
    The Hong Kong FP report on her becoming the new editor in chief, mentioned many of SCMP's journalists commenting on her shaky English skills....

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,249

    Sounds like translate.google

    East_coast likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    14,555
    Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    Sounds like translate.google
    Straight from the Liaison office memo...

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    14,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    The Hong Kong FP report on her becoming the new editor in chief, mentioned many of SCMP's journalists commenting on her shaky English skills....
    Chatting to a SCMP staffer the other week the decision to promote Ms Tam was ......... .......... It could just be personal bias but it didn't sound as if it was.

    The articles attributed to her are badly written and just state the party line. They contain nothing that isn't known already. A very difficult and pointless read.
    Cho-man and Gatts like this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,933
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Chatting to a SCMP staffer the other week the decision to promote Ms Tam was ......... .......... It could just be personal bias but it didn't sound as if it was.

    The articles attributed to her are badly written and just state the party line. They contain nothing that isn't known already. A very difficult and pointless read.
    Shouldn't be surprising given we all know which way the SCMP's political slant is these days.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    24,147

    She is effectively destroying my speed reading ... I have to continuously go back and read a sentence or two to make sense of it.

    Very sophomoric ...

    If you are a fresh graduate looking for a job, are you willing to cross the border for an interview first if the company, like many others in Hong Kong, has a business arm on the mainland?

    Recently, I was invited to a lunch by a university president together with other media representatives, and he told us an interesting story. Many Hong Kong companies have lately adopted a new hiring rule: fresh graduates need to go to Shenzhen first to see their human resources people.


    Some of us concluded that it must be a way for employers to test the willingness of locals to work on the mainland, as surveys over the years have shown a lack of interest among the city's youth to leave Hong Kong for career development. But the president gave us a very interesting answer: it's more than that; it has another specific purpose - to see if any applicant will be banned from crossing the border!


    We were all wowed by this example of killing two birds with one stone. But we also realised that such an idea in fact serves two purposes for the employers: it helps to eliminate job seekers who are not interested in working on the mainland and it can help to find out who is "blacklisted" by Beijing so as to avoid possible future problems for the company.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.