Atheist buses - could it work here?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

ha ha - he is out of a job then!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    "People don't like being preached at." Stephen Green of Christian Voice in response to the buses.
    Not saying I agree with the man, but for accuracies sake the quote should be "People don't like being preached at. Sometimes it does them good but they don't like it."

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Well I've managed Sikh, Buddhist, Catholic, Russian Orthodox, CoE, and a couple of rationalists. I also had one ex-GF get a very serious case of the happy-clappies immediately when we broke up, which I feel rather guilty about since she hasn't recovered even 4 years later.

In terms of the personalities likely to be prepared to suspend rational thought (when not under the influence of alcohol, which transcends most belief sets) then I'm not sure that there are any good indicators except that the more education in science someone has had then the less they are likely to abandon it. But I guess you will argue that scientific education is just a form of inculcation in the same way that being brought up in a madrasa is?
    No I wouldn't argue that. Given my occupation I am hardly likely to argue against education and in particular critical analysis and independent thinking. I accept nothing on face value be it from the religious side or the scientific side. Too many loonies and too much self-interest on both sides (not that they are necessarily on opposite sides of course).

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Not saying I agree with the man, but for accuracies sake the quote should be "People don't like being preached at. Sometimes it does them good but they don't like it."
    Aw shucks! But it's funnier without the rest of the quote.

Aw shucks! But it's funnier without the rest of the quote.
    I know, sorry.

I know many of my fellow Christians would disagree with me, but preaching to atheists is as likely to convert them as farting in their face. Even worse is using the Bible as a text to do it. How do you know that is true, "because it is in the Bible". Well I'll be, take me to the nearest church then my man. Blasphemy I know, but true. Atheists can become Christians (it happens quite often) but really I don't think this is the way to do it. I'm waiting for the lightning bolt....

I'm waiting for the lightning bolt....
    I thought Zeus was in charge of those.

I thought Zeus was in charge of those.
    There was a story in Asia Weekly about two men in China (I think) arguing about whether one owed the other money or not. One said "if I owe you money then God strike me down with a lightning bolt" and bang he was hit by lightning . I guess its best to say that on a sunny day just in case.

Anyway Thor is the god of lightning I remember from my cartoon books as a kid.

If you want interesting gods - then how about the god of sodomy? One of the Taoist pantheon. Just how do you worship him?

Presumably you make an offering of vaseline?

Anyway Thor is the god of lightning I remember from my cartoon books as a kid.

If you want interesting gods - then how about the god of sodomy? One of the Taoist pantheon. Just how do you worship him?
    Mixing up your mythologies there - Thor and Zeus aren't part of the same pantheon.

As for the other one - if you have to ask...

I'm b*ggered if I know...

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast