Like Tree76Likes

Go back to India, according to Asia's finest

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

"Coloured" as a description doesn't make sense and it's cringeworthy to hear anyone use that term these days. White is a colour too, as is green, blue, black and indigo. It comes from a time when if you weren't white, you were "something else", you were "coloured" - that brings with it a lot of connotations.

If the person is black, use black.

If the person is Chinese, use Chinese.

Generally, ethnic terms are quite easy to spot and use, and using factual terms such as black, Chinese, Indian, rather than nigger, chink or paki will make everyone's day a little happier.

Open Casket likes this.

It is confusing to me that I hear a lot of people refer to "people of colour" but the term "coloured" is taboo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    How so?
    I guess racial profiling means more crime committed by South Asians are exposed. Not sure if this is a bad thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    It is confusing to me that I hear a lot of people refer to "people of colour" but the term "coloured" is taboo.
    That's a strange term - I've heard only Americans use it, but their whole system for racial classification is fucked up.

I had an American colleague come in and describe a (British) black colleague by saying "what's the name of that African American lady over there"? I asked him "How do you know she's African or American?"

Quote Originally Posted by kungpaochicken:
    I guess racial profiling means more crime committed by South Asians are exposed. Not sure if this is a bad thing though.
    How so?

A crime is committed. Only after the crime is committed will you know if it was committed by a HKer, a French, a Pakistani...not before...so how asking people of different color their IDs in the street leads to more crime committed by South Asian?

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    It's not always clear what is the "acceptable" terms to use these days either.

I caught on that "coloured" is no longer acceptable but someone once told me that "black" is also not good and I should use "African american" but what if the guy isn't american or even African?

I think we can cut a little bit of slack here.
    "Coloured" hasn't been acceptable since the 90s at-least. African American, Black and Man/Woman of Colour is preferred. I haven't heard anyone saying that Black isn't good yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Well I could hardly use the term African American given the lady in question was British. ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British

Last edited by Tea addict; 15-12-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Ok, racism problem solved. Expect a press release from govt which, under the new copyright laws forbids citizens from reporting what cops said to them, or taking their photos / videos while performing their duty.

(And for all the post reporters .. I Don't have the time or energy to resolve all the issues reported).

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7