• Stop with these surveys already

2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree18Likes

Security staff being fitted with cameras to combat un-civil behaviour

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The cameras are proving to change behaviour all over the world. Why do you think they would not in Hong Kong?

I'm not an aggressive person but a few times in my life have lost my temper at people or staff for various reasons. If I had seen them wearing cameras on their chest I would probably have acted differently in those instances.
    If you need a camera to change it means you have not changed and as a result whenever there will be no camera, you will act as you used to act.

So either you put camera everywhere on everyone (posible) or you educate.

I would like to believe we will go for option 2 but sadly the way the world goes today option 1 is looking more and more likely.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

If education was all it took, the world's most educated people would never break laws. People often know they're in the wrong but act however they want to if they don't think there will be any consequences for their actions. On body cameras have greatly reduced complaints against police wherever they've been used.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 22-01-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    Mat and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yes, lets spend millions on solving one of the bigger problems in society.

Depending on which Exco member's nephew has the agency for these cameras will determine how quickly this problem will be squashed!

First though, I demand a sub-committee be setup to study this problem and produce atleast 5 infographics to illustrate this problem.
    Your cynicism is probably not misplaced. I'll check with the company that is making the camera's and report back if there is an easily identifiable link. From memory the key technology is from a HK company but wrapped up in slick marketing from a European firm.

But this does seem to be the MTR doing the right thing. If front line staff for your company were at an increased risk of verbal and physical abuse due to a change in clientele because of government policy changes you would hopefully look to reduce the risk by equipping them video cameras.
    Last edited by East_coast; 22-01-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    You won't change a 30 y old or a 40 y old etc but you can instill proper behavior to a 5 y old that he will carry thru life.
    What's the point in educating 30-40 year olds if they won't change. At least cameras prevent them from doing something (however much they still want to do it). I'd take that over nothing.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Your cynicism is probably not misplaced. I'll check with the company that is making the camera's and report back if there is an easily identifiable link. From memory the key technology is from a HK company but wrapped up in slick marketing from a European firm.

But this does seem to be the MTR doing the right thing. If front line staff for your company were at an increased risk of verbal and physical abuse due to a change in clientele because of government policy changes you would hopefully look to reduce the risk by equipping them video cameras.
    Check and see who the agent is. I'm still waiting for results of the Tsang LED light bulb issue.

And I'd tell the Government (which we know they cannot, will not and will reject any suggestion of it) to add some cops with tasers in the MTR. Lot more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    What's the point in educating 30-40 year olds if they won't change. At least cameras prevent them from doing something (however much they still want to do it). I'd take that over nothing.
    How about putting body cams on cops so that we know they're doing their jobs? Traffic wardens who walk past illegally parked cars? How about HK Hospital Authority doctors performing operations? How about teachers in schools?

(IN all these cases, laws are being broken and lives being endangered due to negligence of the person wearing them .. but wait .. no can do lah ... can do if camera is used to convict someone else .. but no can do if it would be used to point my negligence or stupidity)

(Sorry .... I need to go bang my head against a wall .. in too cynical a mood!)
    Mat likes this.

If front line staff for your company were at an increased risk of verbal and physical abuse due to a change in clientele because of government policy changes you would hopefully look to reduce the risk by equipping them video cameras.
    And you know what? This line really really bugged me .... you're very cleverly justifying their usage at the same time provoking the line of thought that something is seriously fucked about companies that don't want to (gasp!) protect their employees by making them wear bodycams.

Sure you don't do psyops for the govt?
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    agree, but you are the one who said "Education by filming them and showing them the error of their ways.", not me.

Filming them wont educate them, it will only maybe prevent some of them from doing by fear of consequences - but it wont educate them.
    Cho-man likes this.

To be very clear, I am very french on this, I do like my privacy and this ranks well above these camera nonesense. Sure we do have cameras in France like in many places but it still is such a pleasure sometimes to wander in a park of some streets of Paris (not all of them) without having CCTV all over. In HK you can't turn your head and not see a CCTV.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Check and see who the agent is. I'm still waiting for results of the Tsang LED light bulb issue.
    No luck this time they were purchased directly from the manufacturer through their Singapore office.

They're looking for a local agent!

Resellers | Reveal

In case you wanted to know what Asia's ex-finest looks like wearing one.

Last edited by East_coast; 22-01-2016 at 06:36 PM.