View Poll Results: What annoys you most about the mass of low quality tourists?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Causing 502 - Bad Gateways

2 7.41%
  • Closing titillating book shops

1 3.70%
  • Speaking rudely to shop staff

3 11.11%
  • Spitting on the street

6 22.22%
  • Cutting in front of the queue

11 40.74%
  • Eating on the MTR

1 3.70%
  • Defecating in public

18 66.67%
  • Having sex in a bus shelter in the wee hours

2 7.41%
  • Smoking where they shouldn't

7 25.93%
  • Just looking scruffy

2 7.41%
  • Clogging up the system smuggling

4 14.81%
  • Or something else

5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree52Likes

Which do you find the most offensive?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cjt:
    However, there are malls where toilets are for tenants only. Ground level toilet facilities are virtually non existent, yes maybe in Macdonalds or KFC maybe. You didn't factor in women who need to use the restrooms and who have to que up in every popular shopping mall.

You are reasoning this from a purely male perspective. Factor in women. Do you think ladies would agree with your point?

Just saying MTR Corp should have the responsibility to provide public restrooms for their patrons at every station. Perhaps these defacating incidents could be avoided all together.
    I'm a lady and I agree with his statement. Compared to many other countries I have visited - including the UK - there are far more public toilets. Plus, the municipal public toilets (which are everywhere, by the way, if you bother to look for them) are much better quality and much cleaner that the equivalent in the UK (which I would avoid like the plague).

In addition to being in urban centres (once you "get your eye in" you can see them all over the place) they are also all over the countryside too. Pretty much every village has a nice clean public toilet which you can use if walking through the village, for example.

As for queuing at shopping centres, all you have to do is go up. The ground floor toilets always have long queues; go up to the 3rd or 4th floor and you rarely queue. The municipal toilets rarely have queues too (I think many people just don't see them). Then there are the other municipal buildings that you can just walk in and use the toilets - any sports facility, for example, library, town hall, any of the government departments.

In the UK and much of Europe, I would be forced to use a restaurant toilet. Sure, there are more ground level restaurants there - but many of them don't like you using their toilets (quite rightly!) unless you buy something so it can take quite a while to spend a penny when you have to buy a coffee at the same time! HK is much better for free, available toilets. Most of them also have toilet paper too - even if sometimes its outside the toilet and used for drying hands (something I find really irritating!).
    TheBrit and HowardCoombs like this.

Original Post Deleted
    So, none of the female family members ever had to line up behind a horde of other women to use the restrooms? I am sure, they wouldn't find it pleasant.

This I agree. There are heaps of toilets around the area because we are more or less locals that know the place. What about tourists that visit HK? The wouldn't know for certain where all the restrooms are located. And if they do find one, they are probably already occupied. What can a person with an emergency do in this situation?
    Last edited by cjt; 04-02-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    The defecating thing really happens, I did not believe it until I witnessed it two times right at the entrance to Hysan place.

As to smoking,, there are also some interesting aspects to it. One can observe how a disease spreads and the story behind it. Economic prosperity, travel liberalisation , massive amounts of people and so on and so forth.

The reconquista of Marlboro country starts from China
    Also witnessed this at Citygate and friend witnessed the "leftovers" on the floor at New Town Plaza. It is disgusting. That and not using a toilet properly so that it is left in an absolutely unhygienic and messy state for the next loo user.

Yep, the lighting up in non smoking places...ugh, just adds to the pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I've done 3 of them, does that make me a mainlander?
    HULL! What happens in the bus shelter stays in the bus shelter. You said it was a secret.
    wtbhotia likes this.

I will concede that after living here for a long time, finding a toilet is much easier than when I first arrived. You do develop a better sense of where to look once you know the city.

Lord Dashwood and cjt like this.

Around 50 million Mainlanders visit Hong Kong every year.

Tourism Commission - Tourism Performance

So around 140000 per day. Even if we have one public shitting incident per day (More like one per month)...well you do the math.

Most cases I've heard about seem to be elderly people, children or people with disabilities...we don't live in a perfect world. If you're new to Hong Kong, you could be mistaken for assuming there would be toilets and I think it's perfectly plausible that within such a huge volume of people there will be one or two who get 'caught short' or don't know the rules.

Get over yourselves for God's sake.

To add, I'm more offended by people who whip out their phones to photograph people pooing...would you do that? If you saw an old lady having a poo would your first thought be to photograph it and upload it to Facebook?

Really?

That's offensive...that's offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood:
    Around 50 million Mainlanders visit Hong Kong every year.

Tourism Commission - Tourism Performance

So around 140000 per day. Even if we have one public shitting incident per day (More like one per month)...well you do the math.

Most cases I've heard about seem to be elderly people, children or people with disabilities...we don't live in a perfect world. If you're new to Hong Kong, you could be mistaken for assuming there would be toilets and I think it's perfectly plausible that within such a huge volume of people there will be one or two who get 'caught short' or don't know the rules.

Get over yourselves for God's sake.

To add, I'm more offended by people who whip out their phones to photograph people pooing...would you do that? If you saw an old lady having a poo would your first thought be to photograph it and upload it to Facebook?

Really?

That's offensive...that's offensive.

I will say this as someone who works in China a lot....with the amount of people I see publically shitting in China, I am surprised you don't see it more often in Hong Kong. I have literally seen hundreds of people shitting in the streets of China, and in Hong Kong I can only recall a handful.

I think in China is generally accepted, especially in the more rural areas. Most of the mainlanders understand they can't do that here, but a few do miss the message or just don't care.
    Lord Dashwood likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Please show me on MTR maps where the toilets are located at for example. CWB station (Sogo + Times Square doesn't count). Why do I need to ask an MTR staff to use "their" toilet? It makes no sense. "Public toilets (not MTR staff toilet) should be readily available for the public at every MTR stations in the first place. I can't find WC signs on the maps at Wanchai station. There are no toilet signs in Wanchai station. If i ask another person, they wouldn't know either.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    I will concede that after living here for a long time, finding a toilet is much easier than when I first arrived. You do develop a better sense of where to look once you know the city.
    Very true. I have really developed a sense for this.

For visitors/tourists it is a different story. HK makes it difficult for them to find rest rooms easily. MTR Corp is supposed to mitigate this problem and not the government alone.
    Open Casket likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Maybe they're just shitting and pissing on your patch.

But go on then, how many incidents of public defecation are there per day...not urination, locals and expats do that too. Defacation...how many, then let's figure out what percentage of Mainland tourists actually do this....
    Last edited by Lord Dashwood; 04-02-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast