Like Tree450Likes

Situation in Mong Kok on CNY - HK Police fire shots into the air twice

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    On the contrary. If you saw the news then you would see that there was a threat to the safety of officers. These were traffic cops who were outnumbered and being beaten with sticks and pelted with bricks by a savage mob.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    They attacked not just the police but journalists
    i had seen evidence that the police attacked journalists, but do you have a source for your statement?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Kobe:
    On the contrary. If you saw the news then you would see that there was a threat to the safety of officers.
    i don't want to excuse the protesters but if you work in the police (traffic warden or whatever) for a repressive regime, then you have to understand that you are seen by the people as the regime itself. in the same way as the protesters have lost their innocence, the HK police has lost their innocence too (unfortunately)

My take:

* hawkers - once a year tradition to sell stuff on the streets - should be allowed, there is bugger all else to do over CNY and the hygiene threat is minimal
    * protesters' behaviour - awful - throwing paving stones, lighting fires - completely unacceptable
    * police behaviour - awful, firing a gun in a crowded area without a clear threat to life? fire that fool (won't happen)
    * relationship to "umbrella revolution" - practically nil - biggest similarity is highlighting of the growing rift between HK Gov and the people of HK

Slowly, but surely, the government is destroying what made Hong Kong interesting - HK by 2047 will be Shenzhen-lite.

hin23leung and R.O. like this.

But that still would not justify the rioting. They attacked not just the police but journalists (and I'm not talking about pro-establishment journalists). I cannot defend their action.
    I am only aware of this instance of journo beating by cops

【旺角衝突】已掛記者證  《明報》記者遭警員出棍打起腳踢  聲講明身分仍繼續打 (09:20) - 20160209 - 港聞 - 即時新聞 - 明報新聞網

Can you link to your sources of journalists being beaten by protesters?

And for the cops. During the umbrella movement zero rocks were thrown, but now lots of rocks were thrown. Why is that?

There was nothing to justify throwing rocks, bricks and other stuff at police. I repeat, nothing.
    Agree.

The important thing to do now is to track down the people who rioted and look at the causes of the riot and adjust social policy in a quiet determined way.

Unfortunately the second step will not happen as the current administration appear clueless to tackling the causes of social in-equality.
    cookie09 and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Unfortunately the second step will not happen as the current administration appear clueless to tackling the causes of social in-equality.
    i don't think they are clueless, but simply not incentivised accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    i had seen evidence that the police attacked journalists, but do you have a source for your statement?
    It was on cable news. In this case, I think you are wrong in defending the rioters, cookie. Just because we have an unpopular CE does not mean we can just act with violent impunity here. This is not OC. This is not peaceful civil disobedience. This is premediated violence carefully planned and staged. I cannot and will not condone such actions.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 09-02-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    i don't want to excuse the protesters but if you work in the police (traffic warden or whatever) for a repressive regime, then you have to understand that you are seen by the people as the regime itself. in the same way as the protesters have lost their innocence, the HK police has lost their innocence too (unfortunately)
    What a complete load of tosh and yes you are justifying the rioters. Let's not mince words they were not peaceful protesters.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threesummers:
    From the Live Reddit feed -

Video - moment HK police fired 2 shots:

https://www.facebook.com/henryporter...3923118036895/

The same 2 gunshots at -3:24 (1:35) and -3:18 (1:39).

https://www.facebook.com/krislcc/pos...53445902279227

Side Note:
    - 1st description (threesummers edited the Live Reddit's)
    Watched second video with my sons just now...damn, I think I was crying a bit at 1:30...my sons asking me if the police are the good guys or the bad guys...I don't know.

Has anyone spoken to their kids about this yet? I honestly don't know what to say to them.
    hullexile likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast