Like Tree34Likes

7-11 shopkeeper being stabbed in Yau Ma Tei

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    No it is a valid point, if he had a Canadian passport only then he is Canadian. To label him as Vietnamese may or may not be erroneous. He may even have been born in Canada for all we know.
    if he had lived in the Vietnamese camp he would know how to find his Vietnam brothers cause most Vietnamese settled in HK are living in Yau Ma Tei and Mong Kok area

and from the Chinese press police say that guy only know simple English so I bet he is not borne and raised in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Kinch:
    OK, but let's be sure you have your nomenclature straight.

'South Asian' for the purposes of polite literary / academic / whatever discussion means Indian or Pakistani, Nepalese, or Sri Lankan. I suppose Bhutanese too... But nobody pays much attention to them

'South East Asian' Encompasses everyone else from Myanmar on up to the Chinese border + Philippines and Indonesian Archipelagos. Yes, I know it's complicated. But rough terms of art here.

Anyway a Vietnamese is South-East Asian is a Vietnamese. Seems to have had a Canadian passport too, IIRC.

So in this particular case, no South Asian was involved. And given that initial reports said one was the perpetrator, I'm quite in favour of the record being set straight loud and long.

As for your semi-rhetorical question: There is a difference. See if you can figure it out for yourself and then update us
    ok....it just a minor misunderstanding
    at the time I posted this threat , no clue or information found that the guy is a Vietnamese , and nowadays many South Asian people pretend to be refugee come to Hong Kong and commit crime, forming gangs group, trail society etc.....

even now find out the stabler is Vietnamese ,it is not surprising , cause many Vietnamese doing bad thing in HK during 1970 - 90s

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    No it is a valid point, if he had a Canadian passport only then he is Canadian. To label him as Vietnamese may or may not be erroneous. He may even have been born in Canada for all we know.
    I get where you're coming from, and am semi-inclined to allow your point.

However, you're assuming a perfect world where both sides play fair.

Had the gentleman in question just won the Fields Medal instead of trying to off a convenience store clerk, we can be sure that: (a) the Vietnamese Nation and Diaspora would be lauding him as one of their own, and (b) Boychild Trudeau and the Canadian Chattering Classes would be extolling his success as a Vietnamese-Canadian and blathering about 'Diversity'. You wouldn't be hearing much about The Hudson Bay Company, Mounties, or stirring renditions of "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK".

So, let's call him in foul weather what he'd be called in fair weather with a following wind: A Vietnamese Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by cykgary:
    ok....it just a minor misunderstanding
    at the time I posted this threat , no clue or information found that the guy is a Vietnamese , and nowadays many South Asian people pretend to be refugee come to Hong Kong and commit crime, forming gangs group, trail society etc.....

even now find out the stabler is Vietnamese ,it is not surprising , cause many Vietnamese doing bad thing in HK during 1970 - 90s
    I would not pretend for a moment that being of Vietnamese or various flavour of the month 'refugee' ethnicities means that a person is qualified for sainthood. Far from it.

But you do need to think and tread and speak carefully about ethnic matters. Putting on my Goebbels / Machiavelli hat, I know *exactly* what I'd be doing if I were the CCP and wanted to drive a beautiful 3-way wedge between localists, democrats/transis, and the somewhat xenophobic when pushed/stressed general public. Doesn't take a brain the size of a planet.

Note that I am not advocating censorship or sweeping things under the carpet.
    Last edited by Kinch; 11-03-2016 at 05:15 PM.
    hullexile and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinch:
    I get where you're coming from, and am semi-inclined to allow your point.

However, you're assuming a perfect world where both sides play fair.

Had the gentleman in question just won the Fields Medal instead of trying to off a convenience store clerk, we can be sure that: (a) the Vietnamese Nation and Diaspora would be lauding him as one of their own, and (b) Boychild Trudeau and the Canadian Chattering Classes would be extolling his success as a Vietnamese-Canadian and blathering about 'Diversity'. You wouldn't be hearing much about The Hudson Bay Company, Mounties, or stirring renditions of "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK".

So, let's call him in foul weather what he'd be called in fair weather with a following wind: A Vietnamese Canadian.
    Lol (at myself) - you quote poetry or literature and I am struggling, you quote Monty Python and I am in my comfort zone.
    Kinch likes this.

Stabbed Yau Ma Tei 7-Eleven worker dies

A 7-Eleven store worker who was stabbed during an attempted robbery last week has died. The attack on the shop at Pitt Street in Yau Ma Tei happened on March 8. The police have now reclassified the case as an attempted murder and shop theft. A 32-year-old man was arrested on March 9 in Yau Ma Tei in suspected connection with the case. He was produced before the Kwun Tong Magistrates' Courts on March 12.
    Monday, 14 March 2016 at 8:02PM via rthk.hk - Express News: Local

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Stabbed Yau Ma Tei 7-Eleven worker dies

Monday, 14 March 2016 at 8:02PM via rthk.hk - Express News: Local
    a little mistake, that man is the owner of that franchise store , not a employed cashier, so he go to fight with the Vietnamese

‘Demon’ told Canadian to stab 7-Eleven owner, Hong Kong murder trial hears | South China Morning Post

He also told police he was not under the influence of alcohol or suffering any mental condition.
    shri likes this.

Is he going for the insanity defense? Insanity, even if he can convince the jury of that, is hardly a "get-out-of-the-jail" card in cases like this, he would be institutionalized with no certain date when he will be allowed to be readmitted to the public and society. He could possibly spend the rest of his life in a mental institution.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4