Like Tree11Likes

Zimmerman Petition - Octopus for Tunnel Tolls

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Ah the Zimm, always focusing on the big issues.
    He's also pushing it particularly with motorcycles in mind. The current system for bikes is pathetic, an Octopus in the glove is at least 20x better than what we have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    would help break the SHK government given monopoly on cashless payment.
    Where do you see a breaking of the monopoly? The only difference would be Octopus instead of cash. You'd still need Autotoll since you can't pay with Octopus without stopping. If you wanna change something, force them to give a discount on Autotoll.

At minimum same system as now (ie with a person setting the toll) but ability to swipe like in a shop would save time. And I cannot believe that would take more than a week to install@

JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Sorry but the auto toll just needs to be mandatory and not charged a higher price than cash payments and without monthly fees etc. Octopus is an ancient texhnilogy and really a stupid workaround solution when there is a much better and more direct solution available. Auto toll saves the operator costs of salaries, gates, better traffic flow etc so just it should not come at a premium price and should be encouraged. This is the same stupid problem as HSBC charging $35 to do an online local bank transfer but they let you write cheques for free.
    Exactly right...but discounting or subsidizing auto would make far too much sense for Hong Kong. Its strange that a city which handles public transport so well, fails so miserably on the tolls. Everyone should have an auto toll.
    JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Exactly right...but discounting or subsidizing auto would make far too much sense for Hong Kong. Its strange that a city which handles public transport so well, fails so miserably on the tolls. Everyone should have an auto toll.
    Would still have to figure out how to design for or make them fit motorcycles. Not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Would still have to figure out how to design for or make them fit motorcycles. Not so easy.
    Could be mounted in the right hand glove - the new auto toll box is quite slim now, I'm sure it doesn't have to be as big as it is.

No reason It can't be similar size octopus card, oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Could be mounted in the right hand glove - the new auto toll box is quite slim now, I'm sure it doesn't have to be as big as it is.

No reason It can't be similar size octopus card, oh wait...
    If they could make it the same size as a mini Octopus card that would work. However they wont as they cannot read a motorcyclists number plate from the front. And that is one of the most stupid things about Autotoll, it cannot be used car to car. A separate one has to be purchased for each car. Totally pathetic.

There are solutions for motorcycles. Something like the way the Queensland government (Australia) handles motorcycles could be applied. Octopus is really a piss poor solution. Road tolls should be full automatic with not a single toll booth or gate in the entire city.

Video/Plate account

With a video or plate account, when your vehicle passes under the tolling point, the payment provider records an image of your number plate. The toll payment provider deducts the toll amount from your toll video account.

This is the most suitable option for motorcyclists, due to the difficulty in placing toll tags on motorcycles.
    https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/tolls/pay/
    TheBrit and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I guess the fear is that people would drop Autotol if they could use Octopus especially for congested tunnels.
    I bet everyone would drop autotoll in favour of octopus, I would to get my autotoll deposit back

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    I bet everyone would drop autotoll in favour of octopus, I would to get my autotoll deposit back
    The pain with coins is making sure you have money in the car and preferably the exact right change so they don't end up counting the change and making you wait for a few seconds.

Octopus would take away a large chunk of the minor tedium of getting through tolls vs cash and would be cheaper than Autotoll.

The best would be to have two competing Autotoll systems driving efficiency.

Neither are likely to happen for obvious reasons