Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Elegiaque
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Stu79

Hong Kongers march on to Japan Consulate to protest Pikachu's new name

Closed Thread

Hong Kongers march on to Japan Consulate to protest Pikachu's new name

Pikachu was originally translated as 比卡超 (Bei-kaa-chyu) in Hong Kong. Now it is named 皮卡丘 (Pikaqiu). While the name 皮卡丘 in Mandarin sounds similar to the global name Pikachu (as it was always called in China and Taiwan), it reads as Pei-kaa-jau in Cantonese, which doesn’t sound the same at all.
    On Monday (May 30) morning, dozens of Hong Kong protesters marched to the Japanese Consulate in Central, demanding Nintendo adopt a different Cantonese translation for the new Pokémon video game in Hong Kong.
    They held up banners with slogans reading “No Pei-kaa-jau, give me back Bei-kaa-chyu,” and sang the Cantonese Pokémon theme song on their route. The demonstration was co-organized by local
    Lonely Media and political group Civic Passion. Just a handful of ordinary citizens participated, perhaps because it was a work day.

Nintendo is renaming Pikachu in one of its largest markets, and Hong Kongers are not happy — Quartz

Meanwhile the government plans to build an air-polluting incinerator while we fill up our landfills that's taking up precious space.

Great priorities Hong Kong, great.

Rob2020, Fiona in HKG and Skyhook like this.

Shouldn't they be marching to Beijing instead? Its not Japan's fault...

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Meanwhile the government plans to build an air-polluting incinerator while we fill up our landfills that's taking up precious space.

Great priorities Hong Kong, great.
    A well designed incinerator should not be releasing more toxic material into the air than a landfill.
    TheBrit and M Khan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    A well designed incinerator should not be releasing more toxic material into the air than a landfill.
    While that is true, remember that the incinerator project is being run by the HK government with obsolete technology.
    Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Misses the point. If we just didn't create all the garbage in the first place, we could save SPACE and keep our air cleaner! Both of which, I think, are priorities for making HK more livable.

I got to research this incinerator thing ... back with another thread when I have a clue about what type(s) of incinerators the govt is planning on.