Like Tree44Likes

Ngau Tau Kok Fire - SC Storage?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Manslaughter, surely?
    I did some research and apparently that building was "exempted" from having a sprinkler system, whatever the hell that means
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    I did some research and apparently that building was "exempted" from having a sprinkler system, whatever the hell that means
    was built before sprinklers were required, from SCMP

Industrial buildings completed before 1973 are not required to be fitted with automatic sprinkler systems. In the Ngau Tau Kok case, the eight-storey building did not have sprinklers installed because it was completed in 1961.
    shri and chuckster007 like this.

Will soon become the longest fire in HK ...

The fire is now the longest since the city’s 1997 handover. The previous longest was in December 1995, when it took firefighters 40 hours to put out a blaze in an industrial building in Kwai Chung.

Condolences to the firefighter who bravely lost his life during this tragic incident

I wonder if any of the storer have insurance, I guessing that 95 percent of the stored items are locals, probably very few are self insured

I am aware that the warehouse company may have liability insurance but they pay only a very small percentage as well as may have excess deduction

On the other hand, stored items by international freight forwarder, most of the them will definitely have full coverage insurance,

Nevertheless, the surveyors for these companies will be very busy due to the scale

From an SCMP article...

Founded in 2001, SC Storage calls it self a “leading low cost self storage provider” and “a pioneer of self storage in Hong Kong”. Its director, Kevin She King-hang, could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

She reportedly made plans to list the company on the Growth Enterprise Market in 2013. In 2015, She told Apple Daily the Stock Exchange had rejected the application as it had many fire safety issues to “fix”.

The company said it had set up a “special committee to holistically assess” fire safety at all its facilities and would consider installing more extinguishers. The company said it had already contacted 100 customers and apologised for the loss of their property.
    Tenants of Hong Kong storage facility unlikely to be covered for fire losses | South China Morning Post
    imparanoic likes this.

It's a sad news but hearing quite a number of recent tragedies of Hong Kong firemen - a question - is the fire departments under equipped?

RIP Senior station officer Thomas Cheung, such a sad news especially when he has a 4 month old kid. DAMM
    @ramelec the last fireman to loose his life was 6 years ago, I'd say HK Fire dept is probably one of the best equipped in the world but still accidents can happen.

Did Hong Kong learn nothing from firefighter’s death six years ago? | South China Morning Post

@ Chuckster there was one death last year or 2 years ago.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ramelec:
    @ Chuckster there was one death last year or 2 years ago.
    You are right, there was one in 2014

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...-mei-gas-blast
    http://www.hkfsd.gov.hk/eng/source/s...cs_2016eng.pdf

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast