Like Tree44Likes

Ngau Tau Kok Fire - SC Storage?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Now spreading to the fifth floor - (started on 3rd, spread to 4 earlier)

Fatal Ngau Tau Kok fire spreads to fifth floor, fanning pollution fears | South China Morning Post

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    was built before sprinklers were required, from SCMP
    after the fire dies I'm sure this will change. I don't see a reason for sprinklers not to be installed just because the building was built before a certain time. It's an industrial building for christ's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    after the fire dies I'm sure this will change. I don't see a reason for sprinklers not to be installed just because the building was built before a certain time. It's an industrial building for christ's sake.
    As if anything has changed. Looked at all these old debilitated industrial buildings in Hong Kong which still stands to this day.

Original Post Deleted
    sadly I agree with this, apparently the cost to install a sprinkler is worth more to them than that firefighter's life for those building owners. who thought is a great idea to exempt these shitty old buildings from fire systems anyway.

building code requirements progress overtime, including requirements for sprinklers, in 1970's, they couldn't foresee mini storage units, it is the lazy govt. they should adopt risk management approach and get out of the office to look at the buildings in use regularly.

Retrofitting, installing piping and sprinkler heads, should be the easy part, the problem will be the huge water tanks, water supplies to the tanks, and the electric fire pumps, essential power supply, etc.

Last edited by JAherbert; 23-06-2016 at 04:42 PM.
    rickyross likes this.

this morning (23 6 2016)

the problem will be the huge water tanks, water supplies to the tanks, and the electric fire pumps, essential power supply, etc.
    Thinking out aloud here ...

Is there a system designed which allows for the fire fighters to connect the street side hydrants into the sprinklers? Gets high pressure water into various units / floors without the need for expensive electrical gear and water storage?

i've just heard they are evacuating the residents from the adjacent residential building

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Original Post Deleted
    Convert them into "lofts" and sell/rent them to hipsters for exorbitant prices?

Saw a posting on FB 7 min ago in Chinese that another Fireman has died...if so very bad news. RTHK just reporting 1 is critical but spotted receiving CPR. Never a good sign...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast